Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Campsite Finds--Bullets and Wedding Band

Ex-Sox

Went back to a site that we have been finding both Confederate and Union relics. We hunted for about 4 hours this afternoon and while the digging was tough we did manage to save a few items. The 3 ringer and one of the balls were chewed while the others were drops. Also found a little cufflink. My buddy found a ringtail sharps and two three ringers. Check out the brass wedding band that I found about 8-9 inches!!

Cool finds Ex-Sox,thanx for the pix.I whent out yesterday,had to break through 3 inches of frozen ground,only found .85 cents in clad,my last hunt till spring.So keep up with the cool finds and pics!!! hh rick in mi.

:confused:So the little round white things are bullets?......How old are they?.....I think I've tossed some.....

Thanks Rick, I might not get to go for a while now that school is starting back but will post when I can. Yep, these are .54 and .58 caliber round balls used in muskets. These were found in a campsite from 1862, probably confederate. Bored soldiers used to sit around camp during downtime and chew and carve on these things.

Ex-Sox said:
Thanks Rick, I might not get to go for a while now that school is starting back but will post when I can. Yep, these are .54 and .58 caliber round balls used in muskets. These were found in a campsite from 1862, probably confederate. Bored soldiers used to sit around camp during downtime and chew and carve on these things.
OMG!......I had no idea.....What vdi reading do you get on these?.......I have found several and tossed them......Dumb butt I am lol....I mainly coin search and I live in the fort dobbs area and hadn't even thought of relic hunting.......I found one yesterday and kept it...Why I dont know but glad I did now...So do you usually dig all iron and what should I look for in readings?....thanks

3 ringers and the bigger roundballs are usually a giveaway with a vdi of 58 but the smaller roundballs and buck and balls usually give a different signal sometimes even broken. Some of the small ones I have noticed start with a vdi in the high 20's anywhere to high 40's until you dig the plug. They will then read good in the high 50's. This is just what I have found in my soil. Good luck to you Cheryl, you should do good in your area now that you know what to look for. Warning though, hunting for this Civil War stuff can get VERY addicting!! One more thing, you will usually have lots of iron in camps so I have found that if I get a signal and the pinpointing draws the coil away from the signal to iron I will dig where the signal was instead of where the pinpointer tells me to, this yields a good find about half of the time. I still get alot of edge of iron but get rewarded often also. I let the sound of the signal dictate if I dig or not and just check the numbers to verify. Those brass eagle buttons usually hit in the high 30's so don't overlook those signals and remember in the trash dig all of the good sounds until you get a good feel for things. Have fun

n/t

HaHa!! Ex being the key word here, thanks Elton. I sure am liking this F75 buddy, it is great in the trashy places and a ton easier on the wore out shoulder than the Etrac, thanks for the heads up!

Thanks exsox....Went out for awhile today but didnt score on any balls.....I still cant believe I have actually tossed these things......:rolleyes:

Ex-Sox said:
HaHa!! Ex being the key word here, thanks Elton. I sure am liking this F75 buddy, it is great in the trashy places and a ton easier on the wore out shoulder than the Etrac, thanks for the heads up!
You wanta sell that e-trac?

Sorry to mislead Cheryl, the Etrac has long been gone. Only have the F75 now.

think it was a shotgun wedding site? LOL:rofl::devil:

Coming into this a couple years too late :)
I live in the Fort Dobbs area too Cheryl. Did you find the balls on your property? I haven't had any luck so far...
Be well!

Scooter Blevins

Now if we could just match the dental records on those we would have a interesting story, NICE FINDS