Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Can a newer aftermarket coil tame EMI on an Omega 8000

amcoins44

Will newer coils maybe with better shielding like a NEL Sharpshooter tame EMI problems on a model like the 8000?

amcoins44 said:
Will newer coils maybe with better shielding like a NEL Sharpshooter tame EMI problems on a model like the 8000?

Hoping this can be helpful ...

A couple of years ago, I had a Gamma 6000 Version 1 with two coils: the original 8-inch concentric, and an NEL Sharpshooter. From my experience, the Sharpshooter did not show any improvement in the EMI. Both coils were about the same.

Other than the EMI, the Gamma 6000 was an excellent detector ... it was sensitive, stable (except for EMI), and accurate.

I sold the Gamma and now have an Omega 8000 Version 6. It is also sensitive, stable, and accurate -- and with a lot less EMI.

What software version do you have on your Omega 8000?

Cheers,

Joe

Thanks for the input. I don't have an Omega - yet. I was thinking about trying one for what looked like a pretty good VDI stability. I'd like that in a machine to just grab and go for some coin shooting and parks/schools hunting.

If you get yourself a version 5 or 6, those versions have little to no emi issues. I have a version 5 and its a pure joy to swing verses the earlier two 8000's I had. And, the Omega truly does love coins. HH jim tn

You can have shielding in the search coil, shielding in the coil cable, and shielding inside for the circuitry, but even shielding efforts are not always successful. A lot depends on the circuitry design, the sensitivity or gain level used, and the source and type of offending source causing the EMI. It isn't all a matter of 'shielding' because once you turn the detector on you have generated an electromagnetic field that is projected all about the search coil that can find metal targets in the air, under water, in dirt, mud, and in and under cement, asphalt, rocks and so forth. If the EMF can be powerful and sensitive enough beyond the coil, cable or control housing 'shielding,' then you are certain to be susceptible to any outside influence on the EMF that can cause EMI just within the circuitry.

It isn't always a matter of the search coil size or types used or the detector's operating frequency, either. Here is a good example of such an annoying EMI experience I had in the heart of downtown Portland Oregon a number of years ago. It was a weekday and there was renovation going on that had all of the sidewalks torn up and part of the streets as well in the Old Chinatown area. A friend & I met up to hit the area when it was torn up but the workers were still two or three blocks away tearing up more. That day I had three detectors along for the ride: A 10 kHz Tesoro Bandido II [size=small]micro[/size]MAX with a 7" Concentric coil, and two White's 6.59 kHz models, a top-end XLT and a modified Classic IDX Pro, and both had identical 6½" Concentric coils mounted.

Generally I will start out operating any detector at the maximum Sensitivity then reduce it, if necessary, to gain stability if there is interference. More often than not, the most unstable is the XLT and actually the Classic IDX Pro was usually just a bit 'quieter' than the Bandido II µMAX when used in the same locations. We started out in this renovation site close to mid-day on a busy weekday and my friends was using his Eagle Spectrum [size=small](same 6.59 kHz frequency)[/size] and I grabbed my XLT. As usual, I loaded up my 'Bushwhack' program that is set to run pretty hot and I started working torn-up sidewalk. There were visible nails here and there, but I managed to find several Indian Head 1¢, a couple of 'V' 5¢ and a beautiful condition 1887 Seated Liberty 10¢.

I was enjoying a successful day working the dirt and busted-up concrete pieces and wasn't having any serious EMI issues at all. I was on the 'ragged-edge' but just calm enough with my settings. After an hour and a half I crossed the street to my vehicle to double check my blood sugar levels as I had been having a rough day earlier with my diabetes, and when I headed back I thought I'd switch from my XKT w/6½" coil to my modified IDX Pro with 6½" Coil to take advantage of it's slow-motion/quick-response performance. Same coil, coil type, and operating frequency and what was generally the least noisy detector of the two. I got into the old sidewalk tear-up and turned it on so I could adjust the Ground Balance, but it was totally, and I mean totally, inoperable.

The EMI was some of the worst I've ever experienced except in similar situations, there in Portland as well as in several other larger cities in the heart of downtown on a weekday. Not even at minimum Sensitivity did it work. And to be certain it wasn't the search coil I swapped them and the IDX Pro was still terrible. I with the switched coil I went back over with the XLT and it continued to perform just fine.

Then I worked it again the next day ... with the same conditions and EMI ... and returned on Saturday for a final shot before the covered it back up. It didn't matter which detector I used that day, from any manufacturer at any frequency, and hitting the same sidewalk on two sides of that old building ... EVERYTHING purred like a kitten. Smooth as could be with no EMI. I have encountered that often in larger cities where I have had terrible EMI that might only occur on weekday, or sometimes only during normal working hours of something like 7AM to 6 PM. So when there is excess EMI I'll simply hunt the location at different times or days, because there is some offending source for the EMI that we can't do anything about. And remember, both of those detectors were ion the same type metal housing so it wasn't an issue caused by a thing plastic case holding the circuitry.

As for the Omega 8000 'versions' I own two. A Version 4 and Version 6, and a year ago I had a Version 5. Both my V4 and V6 have a fresh set of batteries installed, and both of them have identical 7" Concentric coils mounted. I have switched the coils around and the two coils perform virtually identical. I have 13 units in my Regular-Use Detector Outfit and every one of them has bad EMI issues here in my house in my den. My modified Classic ID has the least and close to that my three Tesoro's. I just now checked both of my Omega 8000's. Like I said, they have the same coil, both here in the same environment, and I set them both on my work table in the same position. On one, the '99' Sensitivity level was very noisy and jumpy on the display. I slowly reduced the Sensitivity level just to the level were I just barely became stable. It settled down at a Sensitivity level of '59' in d3 Tone with a Discriminate level of '17.' The second Omega 8000 was even noisier and jumpier and required a Sensitivity reduction to '45' to just barely become stable. It was also in d3 Tone mode and had a Discriminate level setting of '37.'

The first was my Version 4 and the second and noisier unit requiring the most Sensitivity reduction was Version 6. And when both were at their 'just-barely-stable' setting I used a modern Zinc 1¢ to check the air test depth of distance from the coil. The Version 4 signaled an additional 1"-1½" distance easily. When I have taken the two devices afield and compared them on located targets in quieter locations and both are set at '99' Sensitivity or reduced to a setting of '74' Sensitivity, the Version 6 seems to give me a little louder audio response on the same deeper targets than the Version 4.

In a nutshell, when I am in a really noisy area with an Omega 8000, I just reduce the Sensitivity, or I might grab a different detector to better handle the EMI, or I go someplace else. Fortunately, for me, I am usually not hunting noise urban settings as I prefer to be more rural to remote and enjoy Relic Hunting. :)

Monte

Monte, your previous V5 Omega 8000 has bitten the dust. It's lost several inches of depth and the VDI numbers have gotten squirrelly. I got the unit about a year ago on this forum from Cabin Fever who said he got it from you.

Considering what I paid for it and what FT charges to repair detectors, I don't think I'll get it repaired. Probably sell off the Detech 13" coil I had for it.

I'll tell you what, when it was working I was very impressed with that detector using the 8" concentric coil that I pulled off a Eurotek Pro. I'll probably keep that coil in case I pick up another Omega or some other compatible FT unit.

marcomo said:
Monte, your previous V5 Omega 8000 has bitten the dust. It's lost several inches of depth and the VDI numbers have gotten squirrelly. I got the unit about a year ago on this forum from Cabin Fever who said he got it from you.

Considering what I paid for it and what FT charges to repair detectors, I don't think I'll get it repaired. Probably sell off the Detech 13" coil I had for it.

I'll tell you what, when it was working I was very impressed with that detector using the 8" concentric coil that I pulled off a Eurotek Pro. I'll probably keep that coil in case I pick up another Omega or some other compatible FT unit.

Sent my Omega 8000 V4 out to First Texas for repairs and got back an Omega 8500.

Kraemer said:
Was your Omega 8000V4 sent in for warranty work? Or did FT just upgrade you? Just curious.

I sent it out to fix a sticky ground balance button. Came back as an 8500 with no warning or any real mention of a change. Same shaft/handle and coil.

My primary comment is one of 'Thanks', which is fitting this season. 'Thanks' to Dave Johnson who not only was behind the Omega's design, but he also stated that he felt it was one of his favored projects. Also a 'Thanks' to a couple of people, dealers as a matter of fact, who contacted me in January and February of 2010 and asked for my opinions about the Omega 8000, figuring I had probably checked one out. Well, I hadn't at that time, but referring to the website, reading some forum posts from Omega users and their inspiration, I bought one in March of 2010.

Most know that I do enjoy Coin & Jewelry Hunting most typical urban locations although I try to direct the bulk of my detecting time to Relic Hunting older, out-of-the-way sites that, quite often, abound in nails and other common debris, building rubble and rusty tin. Back then I was living in the greater Portland Oregon metro area so I was surrounded with an ample supply of parks, schools and other public-use areas to get out Coin Hunting, and that I did. At the time I was using White's MXT, XLT, XL Pro and two or three Classic SL series models that all had Mr. Bill's modifications, Tesoro 's Bandido II µMAX, Silver Sabre µMAX and an original Bandido, plus I had a Minelab Sovereign XS2a Pro and Explorer II, and one or two other devices that would drift through my hands for evaluation purposes.

I bought the Omega Pro Package and first set out to decide which search coils I liked ... and didn't. I didn't, and still don't, care for the 11" BiAxial so I got rid of it. The 'standard' elliptical Concentric coil, about 5X9½ or so, worked OK and the little 5" DD coil was very handy when working in and around metal structures, near fences and in tighter confinements. For a while those were my two favorite search coils,but later I checked out the round 8" Concentric off a Delta and preferred that over the elliptical Concentric and settled in to just using the round 8" Concentric open-frame coil and the small, solid, 5" DD, keeping them each on a lower rod for quick in-the-field coil swaps.

Naturally, in order to share my opinions about the Omega I had to get out and use it in a variety of places to get to know it and determine how well I liked it and to know its shortcomings. I like the use of the T2's grip, and the Omega is surprisingly light weight and very comfortable to use, and the more I used it, almost daily, the more I found and the more 'fun' I was having. In that March and April I managed to find a dozen gold and silver rings, an impressive number of coins, and that included some Indian Head Cents, and a couple of silver coins, too, including a 1922 Peace Dollar.

By mid-June I had also taken it to a couple of my favorite old RR ghost towns in Utah and Nevada to check its Relic Hunting potential. I made some good finds in the outer and sparse-target areas, but didn't do that well in the dense nail contaminated sites or in and around other very trashy areas. I didn't anticipate it doing that well, even with the small 5" DD coil, because it flunked my Nail Board Performance Test and a couple of other test scenarios I use. But I had, and have, other detectors that are better suited for Relic Hunting very contaminated sites and just liked the Omega a lot mostly as a Coin & Jewelry Hunting model.

I used and enjoyed the Omega, actually having two of them, until late 2015. I had moved to a tiny town in Eastern Oregon in '13 with little Coin Hunting opportunities, and then October of '15 I moved here to another small town of Vale, about twenty miles away from Idaho. Most of my time has been spent Relic Hunting but I made a determination early this year to work at restructuring my Regular-Use Detector Outfit and spend more Coin Hunting time, especially since I have three grandkids near me and some in Utah who are old enough now to get out and have some fun when I visit.

Health and mobility issues haven't been in my favor for a number of years, and a fall in early April and more injuries kind of messed up my year of detecting until I had neck surgery the end of August. I needed another light weight and handy Coin Hunting detector, and I missed my Omega, so I did some trading and buying as I thinned out and re-outfitted my detector group. I first got an Omega Ver. 4 Pro Pack that was used, but treated quite well and traded off the 11" BiAxial coil. I was going to get another 8" round Concentric when Coin King let me know he had a brand new 7" Concentric coil, just like the one he had on his Omega, so I traded the 11" BiAxial for the 7" Concentric. I was very impressed and that is the coil I use the most, with others in my Accessory Coil Tote for use as desired. To continue ....

marcomo said:
Are you sure it isn't a bad search coil issue?

I got that Omega Version 5 because I was curious what they did with the 5 and 6 to make them very different from the V4's I have owned previously. I got it in the box, 'as new' from a former detector dealer in Arizona and only used it long enough, mainly air tests and checking on my Nail Board and two scenarios, to determine they messed up the Discrimination adjustment range compared with the V4 Omega. I was hoping they might have made it work better for Relic Hunting, but they didn't, and I had a lot of detectors at the time so I parted with it. It was basically flawless.

To explain the Discrimination issue, on the Teknetics T2 the Ferrous breakpoint is '40' and most nails are rejected with a setting of '21.' With the lower frequency Omega, also with a ferrous break-point of '40,' common nails are usually rejected with a Disc. setting of '16' or '17.' That allows more fine tuning in the iron range like most of my other detectors. When they came out with the Euro-Tek Pro I had two of those and you had to increase the Disc. to '37'- '39' to reject the same nails, and that also was the case for the Fisher F-19. The Omega V5, and V6, use that same Discriminate circuitry that requires a higher Disc. setting to knock out nails than all my other detectors. The V5, V6, like the V4, just don't cut it for me in the really iron plagued sites .... but otherwise, they make terrific urban Coin Hunting units.

After I got my Omega V4 and that 7" Concentric coil and put that team to use having 'fun' I wanted to get another Omega as a 'back-up' so that I could keep one Omega in my vehicle all the time as one of my four Regular-Travel detectors to be ready for any opportunity I might encounter. I saw Coin King was then selling his Omega V6 and coils so I got it. Most of my urban coin producing sites do not have a lot of nails or other annoying iron junk and I can live with either Discriminate circuitry design just run them where I like them. I keep the 7" Concentric mounted on it as well.

marcomo said:
If it was me I would also part with the Detech 13", but that's because I found them to make it too nose-heavy, and where I hunt I have other detectors that provide very good depth. I want the Omega's with a 5" DD, 7" or 8" Concentric coil for most of the everyday types of sites that typically are going to produce coins and jewelry.

I called FTP/Teknetics shortly after I got my V4 because the GB membrane switch is a bit touchy. I think someone over-emphasized their pressing of it and I wanted the front decal and membrane switch replaced. I was told they don't have that for the 8000 and it would take an entire front control panel and circuitry and would cost $250 ... plus my shipping. That's nutty so I just use it and it works fine if I gently press the Ground Grab switch.

marcomo said:
Yes, they are an impressive Coin Hunting detector, and good for jewelry as well. I have another spine surgery on the 29th and hope to have hand and elbow surgery in December or January at the latest so that I'll be good-to-go come springtime detecting season, and that usually starts in February. I am also planning on doing more travelling in 2019, as much as I am able, and make them mainly detecting jaunts, and if all goes well with the surgeries I am going to double-up my Annual Coin Count Goal for next year to 10,000 coins.

That means I'll be making trips into larger cities along the way and pluck as much as I can from wherever I can, and start as soon as I can. I'll be using my Nokta-Makro units and White's units, but the bulk of my urban Coin Hunting is going to be handled by a Tesoro for tot-lots and such, or an Omega when I want to take advantage of Target ID and Tone ID.

I've come to the conclusion that my current V6 is not much quieter than my V4, and I haven't noticed much difference in general performance when comparing them side-by-side with each equipped with a 7" Concentric coil. And since most urban Coin Hunting I am not that concerned about iron, the low-end Disc. adjustment isn't a factor, either. The Omega 8000 is one of those detectors I wished they wouldn't have messed with or discontinued / replaced with an 8500 as they worked just fine.

Matter of fact, I have finally tracked down a few Omega 8000 V4's that are still band new in-the-box that a dealer friend has. Since they are new, I think I might just buy them all and have a warranty card for a new detector from a dealer to send in. Just in case something calls for attention. Besides, that way I'll also have one or two brand new Omega 8000's on-hand to sell someone when I do a club presentation or a seminar. I'll be finding out what they are on Monday or Tuesday, if a standard one coil or a Pro Pack version with 3 coils.

Never hurts to be prepared.:clapping:

Monte

Monte-

Sounds like you should buy multiple 8000s just to have at least one to cannabalize if something goes wrong with a unit. With digsgti's comment above, FT may not be servicing the 8000s anymore.

To digsgti-

Did the company notify you or give you an option to have the old unit back, before just shipping you an 8500 as a"repair?"

Emi issues no problem as long as its swinging. I have to turn the sensitivity way down while digging up a target though cuz the chatter is intence.

amcoins44 said:
Monte-

Sounds like you should buy multiple 8000s just to have at least one to cannabalize if something goes wrong with a unit. With digsgti's comment above, FT may not be servicing the 8000s anymore
I have two Omega 8K's and that has me covered, but buying more would let me have one or two to sell those who are looking for a light weight and handy Coin Hunting detector. Over half a century of having fun and I haven't had to 'cannabalize' more than one or two detectors and that was mainly due to outer damage issues on a used unit I acquired long ago. I have always pampered my detectors to keep them clean and functional. and, I haven't ever had an Omega or other FTP detector I liked go bad on me, with the exception of the first Euro -Tek Pro's I had with a poor preset GB for the highly mineralized ground where I usually hunt.

Monte

Thanks for all the feedback, Monte. You are a wealth of knowledge as always. Best of luck with your surgeries. Hopefully you'll be as good as new in the spring, or at least as good as someone in their ninth decade on the planet can be.:detecting:

Dang said:
Emi issues no problem as long as its swinging. I have to turn the sensitivity way down while digging up a target though cuz the chatter is intence.

Very true, Dang. Just like its cousin the F5. I've noticed swinging the coil over the ground always at least reduces EMI, but does not always eliminate it.

I have a f5 now,usto have a omegga 8000...in my opinion the f5 is way better for Emi,I can set the sens to 30 and threshold to +5 and get the same depth as sens at 99 and threshold at -2...point being,Emi will not affect it both ways,,only one way will chatter and the other will be deathly quite,depending on location I set it up both ways.And that’s with the coil still or moving.