Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Can anyone ID this? Old farmers cant….

Ronstar

Im going to jump on here and see if anyone can ID and what it was used for. The local farm supply stores are unable to identify it.
It was in an old bucket inside a 120 yr old barn here on the property, the bucket was hidden behind old hay bales. When I found it my first thought was to put it in my off road recovery kit, either full size truck or for ATV as a 3” max strap fits perfectly in it.
The dimensions are for the bow: 3.5” from inside the oblong top to bottom and 3.5” from the side to the retaining pin. The pin post is not threaded and is 5/8” diameter, a standard hitch pin for a 2” stinger fits perfectly. It is heavy and appears made that way so not thinking heated and reformed (its way too smooth and no working marks), I was told it is hardened metal. I was hoping to find out what the working load limit was but unable to find this piece.

Attachments

• IMG_1741.jpeg
    IMG_1741.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 49
I know its a Clevis but the shape/style has everyone stumped……..

While still Quite Vintage... I believe this might be a modern'ish version of a Horse Drawn Plow Wagon Clevis... Thick straps would have been used instead of chains... That means it would be early 1900's at latest... I keep thinking about mule teams being used for logging...
Big_log_going_down_the_hill.jpg

Im going to jump on here and see if anyone can ID and what it was used for. The local farm supply stores are unable to identify it.
It was in an old bucket inside a 120 yr old barn here on the property, the bucket was hidden behind old hay bales. When I found it my first thought was to put it in my off road recovery kit, either full size truck or for ATV as a 3” max strap fits perfectly in it.
The dimensions are for the bow: 3.5” from inside the oblong top to bottom and 3.5” from the side to the retaining pin. The pin post is not threaded and is 5/8” diameter, a standard hitch pin for a 2” stinger fits perfectly. It is heavy and appears made that way so not thinking heated and reformed (its way too smooth and no working marks), I was told it is hardened metal. I was hoping to find out what the working load limit was but unable to find this piece.
If that farm had a forge, it could be man made on site. You can try emailing an equestrian web site. They might be able to identify if it was for horse and wagon stuff

Thanks folks……
This thing has taken on a life of its own. The horse guys have to idea nor do the farmers. Since it was found on the old homesite where I live now, plus I dug up what OldLongHair identified as a snaffle bit for a rather large horse, and this is a semi historic apple orchard, Im probably going to declare “no one knows” 😂😂
Well not for sure anyways. Every year around Fair time the neighboring county has an old time horse drawn harvesting demonstration. I will take this item over there come September.

Best that I can reason, it's a no-slip clevis for working with heavy chain. The user selected link drops into the dip and won't shift when turning the way it would if it were just a round clevis. That way the load centers up by itself after the turn.

Thank you!!!! Taking it over to old timers that put on the horse and mule driven harvesters here pretty soon, bet you are right tho!!!

Going along with OL's idea I can see this being a clevis used where quick adjustment of a chain's length is necessary and locking the perpendicular link in the "notch" allows for solid attachment but also allows for quick adjustments , especially if the clevis was attached to an upright object.

So many clever people in the past that didn't have the technology but still found simple solutions. I can see it working like described but would think it should be at a little angle so there would be less chance of it popping out?