Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Can anyone ID this vintage detector ?

Tom_in_CA

Saw this on craigslist near me. At first I thought it was a Metrotech. D/t it has that metrotech style body/housing. But looking closer at the decals and writing, it has some different name written on there.

Anyone care to take a shot at ID'ing this ?

You will have to click on the image to enlarge. But once you do, you can read the writing.

Does the handle come out like a metrotec?

Wonder if it was maybe a pre metrotec or one made by them for someone else, looks like it with no meter, bet Paul in CA would know.

Tom, Google the name Curt fisher underground explorations, there's all kinds of links that come up.

One said he was the brother of the guy that started fisher metal detectors?

Good luck

Jerry

Tom,

First time I've seen one if these, sparked my interest but then I seen METROTECH 220 on the side casing.

Looks like a modified Metrotech 220, processionally altered by Fisher? I like Jerry's reasoning he picked up from research.

I wonder if Fisher modified these for prototypes, if they made the grade from it's field testers then would be completely redone and sold to the public or for industrial purposes?

Is it still for sale, how much? I'd like to purchase it if I can.

Great post!
Paul

You're right. Now I see it. I can make out the "220" now. Hence yes, this is a metrotech 220. The decal had thrown me for a loop, and I wasn't paying close attention to the other writing.

Ok, let me see if the CL link is still there. Pop the guy an offer, and it'll make for an interesting conversation piece , since it has the odd-ball sticker on there.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/ele/5731058857.html

The guy says "Santa Cruz pickup only".

So if he accepts whatever you offer him, I'll pick it up for you (am only 45 min. from there). And can hold it for you till next time I see you. Or can box it and ship it to you.

Let me know. It'd be fun to fiddle with it before sending it to you :)

Thanks Tom,

I'll reimburse you for your time and expenses.

I'll keep u posted, appreciate this.

Paul

Got your PM. I'll pick it up for you, and ship it off to you. Will be fun just to have a closer look at one. And funner still if it can actually power up. Odd-sticker aside, this is apparently just a 220. But it's amazing when you consider that this came out in about 1963 or '64. And while primitive @ today's standards, apparently could pick up a coin a few inches deep. Imagine being able to go to Bodie with this, back before laws existed that said "no", haha

Wonder if anyone back then had the presence of mind to do exotic places like that ? I talked to a guy who got a 220 in about '64 or '65, and he was doing quite well just hitting sandboxes. Silly by today's standards. But go figure, in an era when minimum wage was still probably only $1.20 p/h, then detecting for loose change wasn't so silly. Doh!

Thanks Tom,

Apparently it works, plus he's tossing in another same type unit but that one is damaged.

Appreciate this Tom, amazing you came across this odd one. These are tough to swing, I've got one or two Metrotech 220 Models but never seen this modified version.

Thanks again,
Paul

Ok Paul and other vintage buffs, I got arranged to pick up the machine in the next couple of days. The guy doesn't know where it's origin is from, as he only got it from an estate sale.

When I get it, before shipping it off to Paul, I'll do some videos of air tests with coins . And post them to Youtube. Because I see that at present, the only youtube clip showing a metrotech, is just someone showing it with a man-hole sized object. I'd like to see one done with coin-sized objects.

These were popular with CW guys as far back as the 1960s, and were popular on So. CA beaches back in the 1960s. It would be interesting to see what they were capable of, from a coin-hunting perspective.

That would be great it you could muster out a video, but remember these are tough on the wrist.

JB had one back in the sixties, he often mentioned this before he passed.

I've had a couple myself, but never any of this modified version.

Thanks Tom,
Paul

Tom,

I found this a couple of year's ago off Craigslist, Metrotech 220 processionally modified with a White's TR coil. Has a short somewhere in the shaft, never made time to correct this but whoever mounted the whites coil knew what he was doing. Swings like a feather, the smaller coil makes a difference.

The two red cannister Detectors in the background are FisherScope 1968 T-30 models, very similar to Metrotech 220. With the exception FisherScope staged the handle more to the center of the cannister while Metrotech continued to mount theirs on the bottom portion of can.

With the T-30, FisherScope apparently went with a model similar to Metrotech 220 but several years later, both operate the same both extremely hard to detect with for long periods.

Wish JB was here, he hunted with one back in early sixties. He would have jumped in and shared his Metrotech 220 adventures.

Paul

Hey Paul, still fiddling with these cool units. Got swamped at work, and haven't forgotten that they'll get in the mail. I want to post some pix for vintage fans (in addition to pix that you intended when done). And hope to get one working, so that I can do a youtube video on their reaction for coin-sized objects. The only video I see of them in working mode, on Youtube, is a guy demonstrates one over a manhole cover. Hardly representative of their ability on coin-sized objects, doh! :rolleyes:

An interim observation I've made, is that the date is clearly stamped on the inside. Of the month and year of manufacture. And then comparing that to the little tag/plate on the outside (the serial # plate) you can see a 2-digit code that now I see corresponds to the year of manufacture as well.

That being the case: These two metrotechs are 1971 and '72 respectively. I had hoped to have an earlier one from the 1960's (as these came out in about 1963 if I recall). But I suppose they never changed in all those years, right ? So whatever these are capable of, it's assumed that the earlier years could do the same thing, right ?

Ok, and question for you Paul (or anyone): I have a set of headphones that .... when I use a splitter (like if I want a buddy to hear what I'm hearing during training), that the sound comes through in only one ear cup. What wires do I solder together, in order to get the sound in both ears ? Or can I just put a connection sleeve or solder connection, on the headphone jack, to bridge the gap there ?

Hello Tom,

No hurry, enjoy your free time and when if you can share with us.

As far as I know, the earlier Metrotech models didn't have an on/off switch. Plugging and unplugging the headset was the on/off feature. Later models, had an on/off switch and probably more advanced electronics wise. Also, I have what I believe to be one old Metrotech coil with the tuner on the coil itself, if it is Metrotech boy that's going way back before putting the tuner on the canister near the handle.

Plus,I wouldn't try using s splinter for the headset plug, please remember this is the main power source and you may case a surge of short using a modified connector.

No hurry Tom, I'm very excited you managed to find these and pick them up.

Thanks Tom!
Paul

Paul, will get those 2 metrotechs shipped out to you, as soon as work slows down here.

As for the headphone question, I guess I fuddled up that question. The 2nd part of the post, was not related to vintage machines. Doh! Am not intending to use a head-phone splitter on the metrotech. Probably should have made a separate post on a "tech forum" :) I just asked here, because I know that in all the year's you've collected and restored vintage detectors, that you've become good with tinkering as well.

Here's a pix of the headphone jack on the UR-30s. As you can see, it's split into 3. So to get the sound to be heard in each ear (for a minelab explorer using a splitter), which 2 of the 3 sections get "bridged" ?

20160825_185859.jpg

Thanx !

PS: Thanx for the 77b advice that they do NOT use 9 volt batteries. I can see how it would be an easy mistake to make, because the connections are the same exact type that fit 9 volt batteries. So I just got to to to Radio shack and get a couple of those 4-pod AA battery holders. Going to see if I can bring this 77b to life. Hopefully the prior owner didn't fry it with too much voltage.

I don't remember Tom which lugs to cross for the splitter, only way would be to experiment.

Yes indeed, radio shack has the 4AA battery's holders you need. Hopefully, the Compass you picked up are ok. I'm sure they are, if anything you may need to spray circuit cleaner inside the tuner pots.

No hurry to send off the Metrotech, enjoy your off time away from the business.

Paul

Paul from the CA central valley spotted some used Metrotechs for sale in Santa Cruz CA C.L. add. Since the seller was selling "FOB Santa Cruz" (wasn't interested in boxing and shipping them), I agreed to go get them for Paul. Since I'm close to S. Cruz.

These Metrotech 220 models came out in 1963 I believe. And they looked exactly like this (the body style, color, coil, etc...). Except these had a curious sticker on each of them that says: "Curt Fisher Underground Explorations". Was there ever a connection between the Fisher Co. and Metrotech Co ?

And once I got them in my possession, I can see there's a date on the serial # exterior tag plate, which matches a date stamped on the inside: 1971 and 1972 respectively for these. I was sort of bummed, hoping that I was buying the earlier 1960's machines.

At some time in the run of this company, they stopped selling for purposes of hobbyists, and only sell for industrial purposes (pipe locating, etc....) . These were popular for beach hunting in So. CA back in the 1960s, and were popular in CW hunting back then too. I've never actually seen one in action. so I had hoped to get one of these fired up. But I'm not able to do so. Hopefully Paul can get them going with his technical wizardry skills.

Also recently I picked up 3 old compass machines for myself. It was a 77b, and 91b, and a Magnum 240 (a vlf/tr). I didn't really care for the 91b or the vlf/tr, but they just came as a set of 3. I just got them to obtain the 77b. So far I've only been able to get the 240 fired up. And boy does it remind me of how far we've come ! Although Garrett made a superior vlf/tr back in those days (late 1970s), this thing is WIMPY. Seems to peak out in disc. mode at perhaps 5" (if you really listen for the whisper).

The 77b and it's little sister the 91b are circa early to mid 1970s. Interesting I'm seeing that the 77b is a little different than other 77b's I've had. The darker green one in my pix is an old one I had lying around (yet I lacked a coil for it). And notice, for instance, that the lighter colored 77b doesn't have a fine tune knob. Hmmm.

Anyhow, enjoy the pix of vintage machines !

20160827_112114.jpg

20160827_104236.jpg

20160827_100101.jpg

20160821_071058.jpg

20160827_101515.jpg

20160827_101652.jpg

20160827_101816.jpg

20160821_071407.jpg

Thanks Tom for picking up the two Fisher Metrotech unit's, I've never seen this type of unit before and most likely operate the same as the later Metrotech models. I'll get them going and if you look closely at the knob on the coil this was part of the fine tuning mechanism.

The Compass 240 Magnum is a wimp, have one of those and depth is terrible. But it's reliable always turns on and will hunt all day if ones arm can take the stress, the 77ib never had one of those, hope you can get it going. Plus, first time I didn't see a fine tune knob on one? I always new some of the less desirable low end models were lacking a fine tune, but never expected to see a 77 missing one.

Thanks again Tom, appreciate all you've done and taking the time out of your way to pickup the Metrotech :)

Paul

Ahhh, learn something new every day! When I saw that screw on the coil of these 2 Metrotechs, I just assumed that was a screw for the housing. Ie.: a hardware screw. I didn't realize it was actually a KNOB. Ie.: that can be adjusted.

What's the oldest Metrotech 220 you've got for your collection Paul ? Do the earlier ones have that adjustment knob down there too ?

About 20 yrs. ago, I met a fellow from So. CA who recalled that as a college age individual, in about 1964-ish, had seen a fellow on the dry sand beach swinging an odd contraption. We followed and watched the guy for awhile, and figured out what was going on. So he started asking questions, and .... within a few weeks, had bought one for himself ! It was a 220. There was a store at the time, in So. CA that was selling them.

And the guy recalled that on any given day, at the more heavily trodden tourist beaches (Santa Monica, etc...) that it wasn't unusual to see several guys, all swinging 220's. However, this guy lived more inland, far drive from the beaches. So he had figured out to simply go to the sandboxes in his suburban neighborhoods. And go figure: In 1964, all the coins were still silver ! He recalled that on any day he chose to hit the sandboxes, that he could reliably get $2 or $3 in coins. And while today that seems pretty silly (to knock yourself out for only a few dollars in modern change), yet at the time, to him, it was a cash cow. Because in those days that was enough to fill your gas tank! Or enough to buy the beer for the college frat party you were heading to next, etc.....

He never angled anything more exotic like ghost towns, ruins, or angled for old coins. Simply didn't know any better. And besides, all the sandboxes and beaches were practically virgin then, never-lacking for coins to dig.

By the early 1970s , other machines had gained favor or metrotech's and they were seen less and less . Garrett, whites, and Compass began to have the better hobbyist machines, and metrotech began to focus on strictly the industrial market (pipe locating devices).