Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Can anyone recommend a good beginner RC plane?

Squirmingcoil77

A few years back I decided to jump head first into the hobby of RC airplanes. I spent a few hundred dollars and purchased a couple kits that I had to build myself. My girlfriend had just broken up with me so I thought this would be a great way to focus on something else. I was so happy with myself when I actually completed building the planes, which I had never attempted before.

On their maiden voyages they both went nose into the ground and exploded into pieces. I managed to get them glued back together and on their second flights they both nosed into the ground again and blew to pieces. Needless to say, they went straight into the garbage and I abandoned the hobby.

I've been thinking about getting back into the hobby, and decided this time that I should probably start with a little less challenging plane. Does anyone have a good recommendation for an easy to fly starter plane? Thanks!

Dunno. I've been kicking around getting one, but never get around to it.
I'd probably start with some small trainer that is sturdy and hard to kill.. lol.
The electric motors sound like they might be less hassle than the gas engines
for a trainer.

Some people like building their own planes as a part of the hobby. Myself I did the building thing years ago but today I prefer to spend my time flying.

Need some info. What size area will you be flying?

Buying a RTF(ready to fly) or ATF(Almost ready to fly) can be expensive to start with but not as expensive as buying a kit, putting in hours of building time just to nose it in the pieces. I bought a good programmable radio (Spektrum DX7S) so I could buy BNF (bind and fly) planes which are much cheaper yet ready to fly. Since I had no club or help to teach me how to fly I bought one of the best self-learning planes an Apprentice 15e. Now they have the Apprentice S which has the gryo feature to make flying first time much easier. Foam planes are quick and easy to repair. I taught myself with my Apprentice 15e and still fly it today.

My Apprentice

apprentice-1.jpg

get u a high wing trainer , check out tower nobbies

I haven't check back in to this topic in a while. Thanks for the replies. I'll definitely look into a few of your all's suggestions. Can't wait to take to the RC skies!

http://www.crashtesthobby.com/
check out the assassin on you tube
you can crash this thing over and over......I got back into rc a couple of years ago...this was the first plane I assembled.....it really takes a beating.....and it's fun to fly

Any high wing plane such as a cub would be a good one to start with..hobbyzone supercub is easy to fly and land..

Try a quadcopter. You can buy rebuilt or build yourself. Mine uses GPS to stabilize itself. If I let go of the controller , it just hovers in place. If it loses connection , it returns and lands by itself. Has an HD camera on it too. Today's technology is awesome. I've got about 20 flights under my belt , and haven't come close to crashing yet ! Good fun.

http://.be/ESKl2dza16U

The link isn't working.. But I assume you are using one of the Phantom 2 quads with the go pro, FPV
with an Iphone, etc?
I've been eyeballing those. Really slick. The latest versions have a gimble which makes the video
much smoother.

Some neat fireworks video made with one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9KZ3jgbbmI

This video is kind of a review on the Phantom 2, and there are lots of
other videos on the tube..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptVJGrOpyok

I even put LED lights on my assassin, so I could fly it at night. I used to live in Katy, TX (on the west side of Houston), this thing would always have cars pull over to see the "UFO".