Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Can Dogs hear our metal detectors ?

Waterdog

While out metal detecting I have come across several dogs, some small, others big. Do you think that maybe dogs can hear the metal detectors ?
I know when we was kids sometimes someone would come up with a dog whistle, that only the dog could hear but we could not .

I have no doubts they can hear the detectors just fine... But the sounds are not anything worthy of attention... Getting free patts... or a chance at your snacks... are a better pursuit for a puppy on the go...
dog-travel-car.jpg

If I grasp your question right, dogs might hear your detectors headphones or speaker, but they don't hear the electromagnetic radiation that is output by the coil.
Acoustic radiation and electromagnetic radiation can fall into the hearing range of dogs, but they are two completely different animals.

I don’t know about dogs hearing our metal detectors but years ago I was detecting underwater in about 5’ water in the Caribbean all by myself at a resort early in the morning when I was surprised by a Dolphin approaching me and looking at me face to face for at least a minute, which seemed like a long time .
When I turned off my detector the dolphins immediately left !
It was the highlight of my trip !!

If I grasp your question right, dogs might hear your detectors headphones or speaker, but they don't hear the electromagnetic radiation that is output by the coil.
Acoustic radiation and electromagnetic radiation can fall into the hearing range of dogs, but they are two completely different animals.

I was reminded that electronic components as well as the coil windings do oscillate (vibrate) when in operation. That in turn could produce a low-level whine that a dog can hear but humans can't.
A good example of that is the old CRT TV's that often made an audible whine when in operation.

I was reminded that electronic components as well as the coil windings do oscillate (vibrate) when in operation. That in turn could produce a low-level whine that a dog can hear but humans can't.
A good example of that is the old CRT TV's that often made an audible whine when in operation.
I have noticed that dogs started barking as soon as the detector is powered on and detecting started. They can here the detector half a mile away easily under the right conditions.
It does seem to annoy dogs IMHO.

Wonder if the coils are buzzing way above our hearing range ?
A dog can hear frequency's up to about 45 Khz. Most humans can't hear above 16 Khz some one with superb ears 20Khz would be the upper limit. A dogs hearing is extremely sensitive.
I did some tests to see what my own hearing upper frequency limit is , both ears are maxed out at only 12khz before all goes silent. Not bad but not good either.