Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Can I get the average distance your PP is getting on a clad dime,,,

grouser

one of mine is only good to about 1.5 inches, the other is worse at 1.25 inches.... ca they make it better if I send it in ??? Thanks for the help !!!

I must have a hot one,because mine goes 2 to 2.5 in whereit's used in moderate mineral ground. However my atp with a 5x8 coil will detect very smaller bits of metal than my propointer, (Smaller than #7 buckshot)

thanks for the info,,,, I should have mentioned it was an air test I was looking for,,,and it just seemed the old one I sold was getting better depth,

That is about the limit for the Propointer although I have heard of a trick to increase distance. Never tried it though.

This is why I carry a Propointer and a Pistol Probe which gets about double that 3 to 4 inches. I use the standard double d coil and pinpoint with it. Then the Pistol Probe to try to locate a better determination of location and depth.

Once the hole is open the propointer is king!

Tom

You need to learn your coil pinpointing technique so you can be on top of the target, then use the appropriate digging tool for your target. The Pro-Pointer will guide you as to where in the hole the coin actually is. If the Pro Pointer was set to pick up targets at 5 inches, you couldn't tell where the coin was in a hole because of it's too strong sensitivity. Also, you could not pinpoint targets close to play equipment, fences or sidewalks (re-bar). If you want that kind of sensitivity, switch to a sniper coil. The Pro Pointer is the best pin-pointer on the market, and it's not because of it's distance to dimes. There are other pin-pointers on the market which will give readings at 5 inches, but they fail to tell you where a target actually is with any accuracy. People using these types of pin-pointers often dig unnecessary deep and wide holes. And, slow the whole target retrieval process down.

tworingsall.jpg

I find myself detuning my ProPointer more often than supertuning. I have a lot of trash in my areas right now and sometimes a tiny piece of chicken wire (galvanized 22ga steel wire pairs, twisted tightly) will give a decent signal on my GMII. Before I knew how to detune the Propointer, I had a hell of a time eliminating the wire. Now I detune it so that a clad dime will sound off at about 1/2" to 3/4". This makes the wire sound off almost on contact. I sweep the hole and find the trash within a few seconds.

I should start carrying a magnet to make it that much easier...

There are times when you have a target near a larger piece of metal, for instance, like when you hunt play equipment. The size of the metal playground equipment can cause havoc with your electronic pin pointer, especially if your pin-pointer is too sensitive and/or too deep. So, what you do, is de-tune the Pro-Pointer, so that you can get close to the metal playground equipment, which then allows you to pick up targets close to the equipment that you previously couldn't. This same scenario can repeat itself when working along a chain link fence or if you find a large coin spill.

How do you de-tune the Garrett Pro-Pointer? Easy! Turn on the Garrett Pro-Pointer, hold the tip near (but not against)the metal, or fence, or a coin where there is a spill, keep it stationary, turn it off, then turn it on again. DONE! You have now de-tuned your Pro-Pointer. If you run a coin close to the tip of the Pro-Pointer, you will now notice that the coin must be a lot closer to the coin before it will sound off. The closer you de-tune the Pro-Pointer to a piece of metal, the less sensitivity you will get in the end. To reset the Pro-Pointer to its default setting, just turn it off, then on again away from some metal. Done! New you are again getting 2-4 inches on a coin sized metal target.

John-Edmonton said:
You need to learn your coil pinpointing technique so you can be on top of the target, then use the appropriate digging tool for your target.

I agree 100% John. My holes have grown smaller with experience and the PP which helps me determine the depth of the plug by the way. Do you have any tricks you'd care to share about locating the target under water? I've dug some craters with my scoop looking for a submerged target!
Mac

I do the same thing,,, use the GarretPP to determine the size of my plug,,,,, if I get a hit on the target with the PP I know I can cut a smaller plug,,,,, If I have to use my leasch to super-tune it to get a hit I dig a bit bigger plug,,,,, If I get nothing with the super-tuned pp I go bigger still.... I have just noticed a big difference in the two PP's I have,,,, the one that is a bi hotter I find works better than the weaker one,,,,, I don't want a PP that goes 5 inches deep all the time, I have done this long enough to know that is useless for me. I got frustrated with the weak one the other day cuz I could'nt find a little bit of can slaw mixed in with a good target untill it was touching it,,,, and even then it did'nt have the "zip" in the vibration I thought it should,, not at full 100%

Sometimes in the water your chasing tabs and foil that become great swimmers. They dodge up and over and around your scoop. All the while you keep scooping larget holes.

It sure speeds up the recovery time and effort. Once I pinpoint with my coil, I use the pro-pointer to zoom right in on the 1-2 inch targets. If I get a lot of noise or pick up other metal, I detune like John said and it works just fine. It has reduced my holes down to the smallest diameter and increased my speed.
I'm hoping and praying after an extended layoff, I can hit a couple places tomorrow, if just for an hour or two. The pro-pointer is one of the best investments I have bought as far as metal detecting equipment. With the pro-pointer and the coin popping example from Uncle Willy, shallow targets are found and retrieved with minimum time and effort and leave a nicer looking area when I'm through.

grouser said:
one of mine is only good to about 1.5 inches, the other is worse at 1.25 inches.... ca they make it better if I send it in ??? Thanks for the help !!!

1.8 inches is about average for a Pro Pointer on a clad dime in an air test.
You can increase that a bit at the expense of more ground response by placing a small piece of metal on the shaft of the pointer at a point approx along side the on button and slowly slide it towards the tip until the pointer just begins to detect it and then back it off until the sound stops. Hold the piece of metal in that position and retest your dime. You will find that the detction distance has now increased quite substatially.

The pointer has an auto tune function at switch on which means that if you now turn it off and then on again with the metal in position the detection distance will be much less.