Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Can one use rechargeable 9 volt batteries in Vaquero?

Dimesworth

Was wondering if anyone has tried rechargeable 9 volt batteries in the V. The book says to load with 9 volt alkaline batteries - is there a reason for this? Dimesworth

Tesoro advises the Alkalines because the rechargeable batteries won't stay above the proper voltage required for optimal operation as long as the alkalines will and you may have substandard performance without knowing it.

Best to watch for good sale price on a major name brand at the big discount houses.
All the top name alkalines are close to the same quality.

Sry, I've forgotten where the battery tests were posted, but someone calc'd it all out and determined them most cost efficient, too.

HH
rmptr

If you use headphones the batteries will last so long you'll forget all about rechargeables.

HH,

I use a rechergeable Powerex 9.6v battery. It runs a really long time on a charge and delivers full power until it is completely spent. I have found that some other brands will run down setting on the shelf.

You can attach a battery pack, ( 8 ) 1.5 volt. I permanently installed this Garrett battery pack on my Vaquero, got it from my hunting partner. Cut the legs off the armcup and it fit perfectly on the shaft. The wires are attached to the two battery contacts that are in the 9 volt battery chamber and are run inside the shaft. Attached a 1/4 inch jack for the headphones, much better location, plugs into the old jack. Attached a 1/8 inch jack for a battery charger, batteries are charged without removing them, after each hunt. Added a jack to my Cortes too for chargeing batteries. The 1.25 volt rechargeables work great and are good for maybe 10 hours? I keep the charger plugged in till the next hunt.

I want to thank all of you for your sensible responses. The reason I was wondering about rechargeables is that while digging through an old box I have under the table, I came across a 9 volt battery charger that I'd forgot I had. I tried calling Tesoro in Arizona but I've been getting in so late from metal detecting at the rodeo grounds that the company was closed. Was going to ask them if it was feasible to use rechargeables. Most of my other detector instruction books state; use alkaline or rechargeable batteries. Tesoro says -use an alkaline - made me wonder. rmptr must have asked Tesoro at one time and gave me thier logical reason. Thank you rmptr for explaining this.

Tabdog. Thank you also for your response. I do use headphones - always have. I bought some quality phones from Kellyco. Used to always use the ones that came with the machine but got some Detector Pros. w/limiter and they work great. The use of phones is manditory because of nerve hearing loss and the firing of loud rifles. When I was young and shooting bench rest, I mistakingly thought I was tough and didn't need hearing protection. Nerve hearing loss runs in the family, but, loud rifles and my father's old D John Deere tractor I feel worsened my condition. I was too stupid to use ear protection. But thanks again, Tabdog, I know you have the best of intentions.

JHM. Thank you for your input. Very much appreciated. You must return and tell me where I can purchase those 9.6 batteries, I've never heard of them. They really sound great!

And you, Jabbo - you must be an engineer. Your mod looks great. I wouldn't dare try something like that. All though I'm a "Jack of all trades" electronics kind of baffle me. People sometimes baffle me also. I stopped in to see the dealer that I bought the Tesoro from and asked him about batteries. He said not to use rechargeables but didn't say why. He also stated to use only regular alkalines and not the heavy duty. When I inquired why - he said because the heavy duty and super duty were too hot and might disrupt the electronics. I went on the internet and typed into the search engine "Battery Facts". This article said that heavy duty and super duty was mostly hype and no stronger than the regular in about 90 % of the brands. Whom do you listen to? The prophet Isaiah told the Israelites - "Beat your swords into plow-shares and be at peace. Good logic. Ben Franklin said - "Those who beat thier swords into plow-shares, usually end up plowing for those who didn't". Good point. But whom do you listen to? Dimesworth

Never saw them in local stores.

They fit a little tighter in the box but I've had no problems: http://www.mahaenergy.com/store/viewItem.asp?idProduct=273

Thanks a million for your trouble, JHM, I'm going to try them and purchase the two slot charger. Dimesworth