Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

can someone explain this??

z8chase

my girlfriend has lived where she is for the past 14 years..ive lived with her for 2......according to all the records and personal accounts from old people here......there has never been a house or even a reason for anyone to have ever been on this property.....when they bought it there was a thicket here and had never been so much as an outhouse.
her son is 14 years old.....so i took my sovereign xs2 to see what kind of newer clad coins i could find from the past 14 years of people here....have found a couple bucks in change.....but today i was tinkering around in the front yard and got 2 seperate hits about 8 inches deep and it showed coin.....dug the first and it was a 1929 wheatie.......dug the second and it was a 1941 wheatie.....this makes no sense.....unless someone has accidently walked through the yard years ago and dropped a couple of pennies.......and trust me...these have been in the ground for a few decades according to the petina.....so anyone have any clues?

could be several reasons...... perhaps someone was hunting in that area prior to houses being built...or if any landscaping has been done thru the years it could have come in a load of fill soil..... wheaties in my area have have been relatively scarce in public circulation since the 1980s but prior to that it was very common to get a few wheaties in your daily transactions.......might not have been lost as long ago as you might think...

You would be amazed what been on a piece of property. Get some old maps. Hes right dirt may have been brought in.. Ive found coins in the desert where you wouldnt think anyone has been. Thats why we detect ..... the unexpected.

Dew

HI,

YOU JUST NEVER KNOW. SEVERAL YEARS AGO WE WERE HUNTING A HOUSE TEARDOWN THAT WAS PROBABLY BUILT IN THE 1950"S. FOUND JUST CLAD, EXCEPT ONE OTHER COIN I FOUND. IT WAS A SWEDISH COIN, EITHER 1773 OR 1779. i JUST REMEM BER IT WAS 3 YEARS FROM OUR 1776 INDEPENDENCE DATE. iT WASN'T WORTH MUCH,,, BUT I SHOWED IT TO A GUY AND HE OFFERED ME A PRETTY GOOD PRICE FOR IT. I THINK EITHER A KID GOT INTO A COIN COLLECTION, OR IT CAME FROM FILL DIRT FROM A IMMIGRANTANTS FARM. HH-MARK

You just never know where old coins are to be found. Besides those wheaties being mixed in more modern change from time to time, if the land has no prior history hunters or kids roaming the field or woods there in the past could have dropped them. I've found some of my best coins just wandering deep in the woods where you'd think no humans ever had a homestead or such. Many of these I suspect were dropped by hunters, due to the numerous shot gun shells I also find. Also, back in the day before enough roads were in the area, people would walk or even ride horses through the woods to shortcut to where they were going. I've also found a bunch of old silver dimes, such as barbers, with a notch on the edge of the coin on both sides of it, somewhat off set from each other. For a long while that stumped me, until I realized they were probably using the dime as a screwdriver to set the sites on their gun.

There is nothing like roaming the woods for hours and only hearing shot gun shells to be dug, and then all of a sudden you get a nice sweet high tone of a silver coin. You just know it has the potential to be something special then, and although the woods often lack quantity of coins, they more than make up for it in terms of quality.