Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

can someone pm me the settings for a Sovereign GT

Detector Man

I bought this Sovereign GT and i do not know where the settings should be ...i also need to know how to zoom in on a target......ill be practicing in the backyard with coins ill bury and the local school when i get brave..
i have to admit im somewhat intimidated by the machine.....i currently use the Whites XLT mostly...
Any other tips would be welcome.....
thanks

or inform me where i can find the information....thanks

The Sovereigns are a different detector as you see, but get to know it and you will find it is a excellent coin detector, maybe the best you will ever use.
very easy to set up if you are a park hunter or even a beach hunting looking for coins and jewelry.
This is how I set mine up as I set the switch that says all metal/ iron mask on or off to iron mask on as it maybe a little more noise, but with it on it seems to get good targets close to iron better. The sensitively to learn the GT I would turn all the way counter clockwise until it click as this is auto and a good place to start and after you get to know it better then you can go to manual sensitivity and improve the depth of it. disc is set as low as it will go or maybe just up to the 9 O'clock position to eliminate the alum foil as you will get less nulling and more signal., the volume is set wide open and you should have a set of headphone that has a volume control on it . Other than that you just turn it on and start swinging the coil. Maybe try a few different coin as the copper penny,clad and silver will sound the same, the nickles and gold ring once you know it well you can tell by the tones them from pull tabs most of the time. The IH pennies and some of the older wheat pennies read just a little lower tone than the copper ones ad hard to tell the difference in tone and why I highly recommend a 180 meter as you can see what your ears are hearing in digital numbers to help on the close signals.
I will say most people just starting using a Sovereign will hate it from what we see, those that stick with it and get to know it will probably never sell it as they know what they can do and have the finds to prove it.

Click on this article that I wrote and pin on this site and hope it will help you.. http://www.findmall.com/read.php?21,1696951,1696951#msg-1696951

Thanks a bunch Rick. I do understand that it is a serious upgrade and there is a learning curve also....im ready for the change..thank you

When I purchased my Sovereign GT I thought that I had bought a monster. I could not understand what the machine was telling me. I purchased a 190 meter and put it on the machine and being able to verify what I was hearing made a tremendous difference.

Now after almost five years of use my ears will tell me and the meter will verify. The gt is great on the dirt and also on the beach. Only problem is it is Not waterproof. Once I learned what the GT was telling me I purchased a second one jut in case something happened to my main machine as I do not want to be without a working GT.

Give it some time and you will learn to love the GT

Rick gave you an excellent summary of using the Sov GT.

Clive Clynick has an excellent book "Finding gold, silver and coins with the Minelab Sovereign and Excalibur" which gives a lot of useful general info; Gary Drayton has one " THE ULTIMATE SOVEREIGN BEACH HUNTERS GUIDE" that gives a nice overview of using the Sov GT at the beach.

But the best teacher is to keep using your machine until you learn what it is telling you!

Happy Hunting.

Charles

Congratulations with getting the GT, Rick and the others shared valuable information.

Takes a good year to fully understand a Sovereign, but it's well worth the effort. I still have my original waterproof Sovereign, and a GT. If you're ok with hunting Roeding park, we can meet in the near future and I'll share with you what I've learned over the years.

I've had the pleasure hunting with your brother before, but never had the opportunity to detect with you.

Does your GT have a meter? If not that's ok I can show you how to hunt with tones.

Paul

thanks Paul, its is very generous of you....ill take you up on that...i did get a meter a while ago....i want to learn the machine...but i am intimidated by Minelabs....way different than my XLT.....name a day and time.....ill be there

Terrific, will see you sometime next weekend.

I'll bring my GT, see you then :thumbup:
Paul

Well said Rick and George.I think once learned the Sovereign is a easy detector to use.Excellent depth,great at the beach.There are still lots of after market coils available for the Sovereign.Talked to a lot of people who have made some amazing finds with the Sovereign.Good Luck HH Ron