Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Can too much wiggle and pinpointing throw off auto?

When I have an iffy target, I will do a lot of wiggles and pinpointing to try and tease out a good vid number. I will circle 90 degrees four times or more. If I do this too many times on one target with auto tracking ground balance on will that mess with the true ground balance? If It is sampling the ground constantly in auto track, should I switch it off while I am working the target and turn back on as I seek the next tatget?

Tracking system are designed not to track to non-ferrous targets for good reason, you don't want them cancelling out a good target.. The X-Terra's could be different, not sure. I do know that in all metal and C/T mode they will track out small hot rocks, but it takes several (7 to :geek: passes to accomplish which will leave you with a more positive GB.

I leave Tracking on and only reset after the detector has been used to check signals over an open hole which in reality may not even be necessary.

One way to check would to note your usual GB setting and see if it changes after ID'ing targets.

Tom

In Randy Horton's guide to understanding the X-Terra he mentions a few interesting points about auto tracking. You can download the e-book from a link in this forum. From what I understand, as soon as a target is acquired, you have to turn off auto tracking until target has been dug. It seems it might cancel the target altogether. It's on page 21.

I would say that 98% of the time it's not necessary to turn it off. I've never had a good target "disappear" due to tracking being turned on.
The sampling rate is fast enough that it's seldom a problem, and it tends to only be an issue with lower conductor targets when it does occur.

Does the tone stay the same though ? It seems to turn into a warble on mine if I stay long enough on the target.

Old Longhair said:
I would say that 98% of the time it's not necessary to turn it off. I've never had a good target "disappear" due to tracking being turned on.
The sampling rate is fast enough that it's seldom a problem, and it tends to only be an issue with lower conductor targets when it does occur.

Why do that?
Sure the audio can change, especially in a high trash environment where there are multiple objects in the detection field. That is where the differences in chosen frequency really comes into play.

If I have to spend more than about 30sec circling a potential target, then I'm better off just digging it and knowing rather than screwing around. I've also always felt that trying to make the detector respond to something is counter productive, and I'm further ahead letting it tell me than making it sound off where it doesn't seem to want to.

If you hover over a target, it can disappear. But "normal" sweeping back and forth across a target, allowing the coil to clear the target area, shouldn't pose a problem. Raising the coil while in pinpoint can also cause the target response to disappear. HH.