Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Canada to stop production of the penny

Minas man

Just heard on the radio that the penny is being phased out as it costs more than a cent to produce. This must be part of the federal governments budget to save money. The budget is is being released today in Ottawa.

Minas man

An American penny is worth about 3 cents. Can't wait until Congress says they will stop production of this worthless coil. Then we can be free to meld down all our pennies pre 1983 as they are all copper. On the news last month, some guy in a burb of New York City had a total of 700 thousand copper pennies stored in his garage. That is 7 thousand dollars face value and 21 thousand dollars melt value. Nice return on his investment. Not so sure I would wanna broadcast to the world that I had this stored in my garage though.

During an average day I make several purchases, all the pocket change I collect I never actually ever spend, instead when I get home I toss it into a plastic bucket.
Just after the first of the year I seperate it and then it all gets into smaller 1 gallon pails, I usually roll only the quarters which I then spend, but everything else has been steadily building up, to date I have at least one 3 gallon water bottle full of pennies, out of that 75 lbs of pennies I may have found only a couple of dollars worth of pre 1982 solid copper pennies. The quarters do get scanned for any of the older ones the same for all the others, and the same with foreign coins.

On average I collect $500 in quarters and my guess another $2-300 in smaller change, my guess is I have about $1,000 in pennie, nickels and dimes.

BTW the quarters went to pay my property taxes, they do get a bit miffed to my extreme pleasure.

In summary its getting pretty hard to find older denominatons in the general circulation, it does happen but not often and I think the banks scan them somehow and pull them out.