Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

:canadaflag: North South hunting

Minas man

I have been hunting an acreage in a mainly north south direction for most of the spring and the results in the past few weeks have really dropped off but today I started in an east west hunt pattern using the early morning dew as my grid lines and this morning came home with a fist full of coins. Being creatures of habit it might be time for all of us to make a change in direction and start getting results.

Minas man

You can't always get every item hunting in one direction. At least you like to think you cleaned the spot out....
That's why its a good idea, if your can muster up the effort to re-hunt the same spot from a different direction to pick up those stray targets.

Yes I always re hunt areas! I drug my shovel as I was walking a field to make a grid for myself. Hunting a 50 x 50 area. Making sure to over lap my swings. Then I went the opposite direction same thing I was amazed at the lead bullets I missed. Then I went diagonal using my shovel marks as reference. I dug a few more items. Maybe I was being to technical but i was amazed at the items I missed at the first run.

It's always best to make a "grid" pattern at every area you hunt. Going in each direction. Sometimes I'll even use two sets of spikes with strings to keep the pattern uniform and to make sure I covered all the ground. Then depending on my coil type I will go over the grid in all four directions two or three times, more with a concentric, less with a DD coil. Concentrics have a cone shape signal that hits less deep targets unless you hit the area more than once. DD's have a blade signal that covers more a area. Say if your swing is three feet wide and you use the stringed spiked area then move one set to the area next to the cover area until you completely covered all the ground. First north and south, then east and west. At the end of the search if you could see it from above it would look like a piece of Grid paper. I also never swing the coil with a curve but in a straight line overlapping each swing moving slowly. I also scrub the ground as close as I can to find the deepest targets, scrubbing also keeps me from curving up at the end of each swing......HH, Woodstock