Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Canadian coins and the Ace250

saika/ace250

All of you using the ace250 in Canada. Have you noticed that the 250 has a problem with Canadian quarters? I was doing a bit of air testing and noticed that Canadian 25s can get rejected in the coin mode.

I think that you will find that it is only the new clads as they are plated. You will notice that under the queens head is a small p. They will read down in the iron notch. The older clad read up in the coin range and you will notice that they will bounce giving a good indication that it is is a clad. The 250 loves our Canadian coins and bell tones on them. Most detectors the Canadian clad will read low on ID machines. HH Ken

Many thanks I routed throguh my finds and tested different vintages of coins...you are right. I was startled to find this the other day and started to worry that I was missing out on some major coinage!!!
It does luv loonies and toonies.

I find that the new Canadian dimes are really difficult for many detectors to pick up, especially when the ground is mineralised. ...Willy.

Here is how the Garrett should read Canadian Coins....

PENNIES: Depending on their year and length of time in the ground, expect them to read one notch before the penny icon to a couple of notches past the penny icon. You have to dig dig dig.

NICKELS: Again....what year and length of time in ground. They will either show up at the penny icon or nickel icon. They tend to give a smooth signal on the nickel notch, not a rough sound like the sound of a pulltab.

Dimes: If 1968 0r older,(silver)they will read clearly in the penny range. Newer, they might not read at all if freshly minted and recently fallen on the ground. (not to worry, my buddies non-Garrett machine does the same) If they have been in the ground, say for several months, they tend to bounce around pulltab and coin. If you dig the plug and loose the signal, chances are that you got a clad dime. You now need to find it in all metal mode (pinpointing) to find it and remove it.

Quarters:1968 or older read in coin range, usually smack dead center under the quarter icon. If new, again, might be missed. If in the ground for at least several months, expect it to bounce around penny, quarter and pulltab icon. Again, once you make a plug, you may loose the signal, so you have to use pinpoint mode to find it and remove it.

Loonies and Toonies ($1.00 & $2.00 coins) give a strong signal under the coil at penny or quarter. Garrett machines like these coins. If you get one under your coil, you will surely dig it!
Summary on Canadian Coins:

If you hunt in coin mode and notch out the nickel and pulltab, you will still get nearly all of your Canadian Coins, with the exception of a few nickels. "BUT", you might also miss out on a gold ring too. So, based on your goals and available time for a hunt, choose your programs carefully.

Many other makes and models of detectors will not read or barely read our Toonies, Loonies, & nickels. I know from experience from hunting recently hunted playgrounds, and that's what I usually found...nickels, loonies. toonies and some other clad. I suspect that Garrett engineering designed their machines to detect these one and two dollar coins, as I sent them one of each several years ago. I am also hearing from others using the recent Garrett lines of detectors getting the same results.

Because nearly all detectors are made in USA, they read U.S. coins with great accuracy. When hunting Canadian coins, you need to slow down a bit, and if you get any signal at all, you should go over it in different directions.....to see if it will read and bounce around in the coin and pulltab range.

hope this helps!

<center>