Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Cane and Staff making anyone?

Sonorguy

Hello Folks,
Well as if I need another hobby, (MDing), I enjoy making and carving canes and staffs. I also enjoy seed beading, working with antler, photography, drumming as my name suggests, and of course fishing.
I'm a newbie to this hobby, but we got to start somewhere. Let me know if you make canes, I would enjoy your stories/pics. my main sander is down at the moment, so I have several blanks drying and ready to be worked on.
Cheers, HH

Well, I have some different woods collected for making some staffs and/or canes. Been collecting them for prolly 10 or 15 years and just never got around to making them. I have some great New Mexico oak pieces that are beautifully curved and gnarly. The oaks out in New Mexico are more like bushes compared to the oaks around here/northwest Illinois. I found them while renting a cabin waaay out in the boondocks in New Mexico. They were just sticks coming up out of the ground and deader than a doornail, well cured, and dry as a bone. I have some really nice southern Illinois cedar sticks too. Around my area we have what we call hedge or Osage Orange trees. In the late 1800's the government had surveyors measure out the sections in the countryside. On many of the measured lines they planted the Osage Orange trees. Well, when the small upshoots next to the main part of the tree would die, after quite a few years they would turn this beautiful chestnut brown inside. Before getting old, dried out and cured, the wood is this ugly greenish color inside. Anyway, your post has given me the urge to do something with all the material I have. Thanks Sonorguy, for the probably unintentional nudge you gave me. What kinds of woods do you use? Sorry for the long winded post.

I use whatever is twisted good. Wood type
to me is just a distraction from the hunt for
a good piece. That said, maple and cedar are
mostly what I find around here.
Glad I could stir up some old bugs for the hobby,
Hope you can get back to it!!
Tc,
HH