Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Cannonball Fragment ?

kimbershot

While out exploring a site that has seen some CW activity, I came across this chunk of what I believe is a piece of an exploded cannonball. It appears it may be a bormann fused cannonball--size--maybe 12 lb????? I haven't been able to find thread measurements for cannonballs on any website for the 2 threaded holes, to help confirm my suspicions. I would appreciate it if anybody can help identify my find.

Previously, I recovered a canister shot on the same property that measured about 2 inches in diameter, as well as several other items. Also in the picture--several strands of chain--appears to be hand forged and a partially flatened lead shot.

Fragment of Bormann Shell Rim-as advertised-@JoshuasAttic.com

My finds are helping our local historical society put together skirmish scenarios that took place in Jan. 1865. These little pieces of history are pointing to a more heated exchange between Yanks and Rebs than previously thought of.

My experience, which ain't alot, would say, no this is not a cannonball frag. The thickness and angle are not correct. That is just one opinion though!!!! Good luck!

Yes, it is the top or fuse opening for a Borman fuse. The inner shelf is where an iron plug sat with a flash hole in it. This iron ring/washer kept the soft lead Borman fuse from being set back into the main powder charge. Your fragment is either from a shell,which had no lead balls encased or from a case shot which had many 69 cal balls embedded in pitch which had a small hole drilled from top to bottom and contained a small bursting charge. Sometimes you will find a partial 69 ball which looks half moon because it was drilled through when the bursting charge hole was drilled. Good find.