Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Cannonball Identification

david bull

A friend gave this projectile and I am trying to determine if it is inert or still explosive.Circumference is 19”,Diameter 5 1/2”,weight 22.65 pounds .TIA

Attachments

• IMG_2018.jpeg
    IMG_2018.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 110
  • IMG_2021.jpeg
    IMG_2021.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 112
It looks like two small holes have been drilled into it from what I am seeing.
Maybe it has already been made inert.
Is that a fuse in the close up photo?

That hole seems too small for a fuse.I’m inclined to believe this is possibly a clinker used to crush rocks….

Maybe the measurements and weight can be used to determine if it s a cannonball at all.
Maybe it is a shot put ball.
I saw one laying on th ground at a high school last winter and it seemed to be about the same size and was quite heavy.

I believe a shot put would have the weight stamped somewhere.The weight (22.65#) doesn’t correlate to any known artillary shot.The hole is threaded and there is no casting seam.Part of a prisoner ball & chain maybe?

I honestly don’t know what this is.A friend of mine had it on his workbench and someone told him that it might be explosive…