Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Can't help but wonder.

Bromly

Hi all
I've been a salt beach hunter for a few years now. After hunting with the SovGT, Excals" with Mods" CZ21, DFPI,HHPI,BHID, and now full time with the CTX3030. I find it
hard to believe there's any detector out there that can hit the deep stuff like the CTX. Are the any ATX users out there with CTX experience that would care to chime in on
the subject? I'd really love to hear your opinion on how the 2 sticks compare to each other in the wet slopes and in the salt water.

Thank You!

Ken.

Hi Ken,

Although I don't have or used a CTX, I did extensive research on the CTX before purchasing the ATX. I will give you my opinion to get your thread moving and tell you why I chose the ATX for wet sand and water hunting instead of the CTX.

First, no detector will reach the depth of a high quality PI detector, Period! Trash is not much of an issue in wet sand or in the water.

Half of the time I spend hunting is in the dark and I wanted a detector that I can turn on and go. I didn't want to fiddle with manual settings, didn't want a detector with a display, pre-set settings that cancel out some depth, menus, downloads of custom settings, GPS, along with an array of bells and whistles that I would never use, but end up paying for. With all those features the CTX has, you have the poential for it being back at Minelab when one feature has problems that effects everything else.

For me, the ATX is raw power, has just the right amount of visual and audio tools to keep you from digging shallow small iron and for you to somewhat determined the size and depth of an item with experience. With the unbelievable depth I have been pulling lead, brass, and aluminum, deep gold and chains will come when I find the right locations.

Not to mention that I got a killer deal on it :)

hi There - will let you know - have been using the CTX for about 1 year on the beach and in the water (salt) - ATX arrives soon, hoping will be deeper for the New Zealand Sand!

Bromly said:
Hi all
I've been a salt beach hunter for a few years now. After hunting with the SovGT, Excals" with Mods" CZ21, DFPI,HHPI,BHID, and now full time with the CTX3030. I find it
hard to believe there's any detector out there that can hit the deep stuff like the CTX. Are the any ATX users out there with CTX experience that would care to chime in on
the subject? I'd really love to hear your opinion on how the 2 sticks compare to each other in the wet slopes and in the salt water.

On my beach I used the CTX over a small cut area of wet sand. I did pretty well and was convinced there was nothing left. I went back to the car and got out my TDI and the area came alive again. It was a lesson learned, the CTX cannot compete with the TDI on wet sand so I am pretty sure the CTX will not be anywhere near as good at getting the deep stuff as the ATX on wet sand.

I have both. A PI trumps a VLF for depth but depth is not everything for me it is a matter of how much patience you have for digging trash. I am into site selection and am generally not satisfied until a good site is completely cleaned out of detectable targets. Therefore I prefer PI detectors for beach detecting. My CTX is for when time is limited or I am just in a cherry picking mood. Or maybe to evaluate a site first before bringing in the PI, but if a site is good I will always end up using a PI even if I start with a VLF. So usually I just cut to the chase and use a PI from the start.

I have paid for my ATX now with over three ounces of gold, platinum and silver jewelry found. Garrett posted a photo of some of it on their Facebook page if you are interested. Both the CTX and ATX are superb jewelry detectors. It really is a matter of how much trash there is and your patience. I do have to say I have more faith in the ATX for stoutness and overall waterproof integrity. I have had my ATX in surf that I would be afraid to subject the CTX to.

Anyone that can afford it my recommendation is own both. I will not part with either one, they are two of the best detectors I have ever owned.

Thank you all for the great feed back. It sounds like
a purchase worth making. Im looking forward to learning
a new machine. I' ll wait give to a feed back after I get a few hundred
hours in with the ATX.

Thanks again!

Ken

I am in the market for the ATX but the price is sort of out there. Mind sharing where I can also get a killer deal?

Thanks, John

I would suggest that you contact the various sponsors who deal in Garrett's and advise them that you are ready to buy an ATX from whoever offers the best price. It' skinned of a "Dutch Auction". You announce you are willing and ready to buy at the lowest price offered within a limited period of time and take the lowest bid. Of course in a real Dutch Auction, the bids are public, but that probably wouldn't go over very well.

jrickert said:
I am in the market for the ATX but the price is sort of out there. Mind sharing where I can also get a killer deal?

Thanks, John

Hi John,

I mentioned killer deal in my post. I will send you a PM and fill you in on the details.

(You must not be a member, Private Message will not go through. You need to join Find's first)