Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Caps to depth....

Kevin[NC]

I want to hear about how deep the T2 can get, and if it could do anything for someone with a CZ 5, COIN STRIKE, EXPLORER, and a Minelab Sov. like me. Deeper, better in iron, trash, etc. Does it run quiet through old rusty nails at old house sites? Does it run quiet around power lines?
THANKS...

Many detectors have various issues with caps. So let's hear about more common issues...how about nail infested sites.......?

What can the T-2 do that these other detectors cant??

What can these other detectors do that the T2 can't......just depends on which side of the window you sit.
I think your basic question has been beat to death on all forums...which is....nothing new has come out that most current production models are not already capable of.
I think with the T2 there is an interest as it is a teknetics and there has not been a new Tek in 15 years.
For me...when a new detector comes out I do not expect anything surpisngly new for performance and so it ends being...what can't it do...because for the most part we are at a wall of sourts for huge gains in improvements.
So this is why we end up picking shortcomings to death. What is it's shortcomings.....and is this going to be an issue for a particular buyer.
In my case bottlecaps are never an issue. i hunt Colonial era only...no bottlecaps for me.....my only bugger are shotshells and those are almost always shallow and any ID detector can ID them.
Now to answer your question in the way you phrased it.....we must assume Bills staement is correct.
So if the T2 is close to the depth he stated....then the answer is....it can do what other top line detectors do....but for 2-4 hundred less. Assuming it is close to say an Explorer in epth the T2 is 400 bucks less.
Compared to the DFX....it is 200 less.
Compared to Coinstrike it is similar in price but better balanced..yes i have used A CS and it is very nose heavy....and still a great machine..........and so on.
But of course these answers assume Bills results hold up in other areas....and then again I don't care. I will buy one...if it works for me fine..if not it moves on.
Lastly let me ask you this Rick....what does one mans Dodge Ram do that another Mans Ford F-250 can't...absolutely nothing....there has been little advancement on a year to year basis in vehicles yet new models come out each year and we gladly snatch em up.
It is just another offerening to keep your options open...some will love it...others will hate it and many will fall inbetween.
Scott

The MXT can only give a phase reading of the ground, relating only to itself. I remember it being around -80'ish. -84 sticks in my mind, and the XLT reads -94.5 most of the area.

The problem with just using just a phase reading it doesn't tell you what the mineralization is.

I use to think the soil was real screwed up until I read it with the T-2, and it looked at it with the Fe304 function. I'm not so certain it's accurate, but it would certainly explain why I have good results with depth in my yard if I accept that.

Mr. Bill

Or did you try one and sold it again? Just wondering how many got one and then sold it again as this is what happens with many new detectors.
I see where Ralph had his on E Bay and now he took it off, wonder if he is keeping now. I was watching what resale was on the T-2.
I like to hear of those that have actually have one and use them and what their thought are. I like to read My Bills, Mike's and Ralph's comments on this new detector and how it is different then what we are using as it has to be different in some ways than what we have now. One of the things I see in the owners manual is changing the tones from a signal to 3 or even 4 tones which will help with the type of hunting a person does. I also see where it has no notch feature on the T-2 which is OK for some as we go by the tones and the meter reading.
How is the audio on this detector, plenty loud?? Some of us need it.

Rick

Check page 12 of the MXT manual. In the Relic mode you should be able to display an iron% which would also correspond to the Fe304 that the Explorer IIs shows. Using the pinpoint mode you should be able to get not only the ground phase but the %iron reading very similiar to the Exporer II's but you can only do it in the Relic mode of the MXT.

Just a thought.

:)

Scott, while I would agree with you on most of what you said, I still believe the issue of caps is one that needs not go away till we can identify a way around them if for any reason for those in the same general region that I am that would like to find an answer. I totally agree with Bill in that each and every place has it's own issues and the issues may not be shared from one region to another though they are still issues. I don't think or at least I know I personally wasn't looking for shortcomings of the unit and in fact am comparing it to my Coinstrike, DFX, XLT E, BH TR, GTI-1500, and the CZ70 PRO. I think that is a pretty fair comparison. I purchase detectors based on how they will perform for me and the type of detecting I do. Just as your analogy of what does a Ford pickup offers in comparison to that of a Dodge, well for me it is what is it that the T2 will offer me that isn't already in my arsenal? My concern is not with all the other brands that are out there...it is specific to what's in my personal arsenal whereas I can enhance it to bring me a better yied for my time spent in the field. Can I rid myself of maybe one or two units and use the T2 instead to satisfy my demand/desire for that specific function/feature. It's all about trade-offs in functional capability. You can take the bells and whistles and all the other BS they place on many of the new detectors under the guise of capability and give me a simplistic machine that will perform as I want it to and you got yourself a buyer. We are all into detecting for one reason or another, for some it is strictly a hobby and the enjoyment of just being out there uncovering treasures of sort/worth that would not have otherwise been unearthed had it not been for us, for others it goes beyond that. I personally believe there is enough room on this forum to speak to a myriad of topics relative to the T2 there is nothing said that we have to only speak to one thing at a time. In regards to nails and power lines, I agree with Bill that the T2 does a great job in this area. In depth, I don't agree with Bill, at least not down where I am at. I am not experiencing the same findings this stands without reason and is acceptable. The deepest target I have recovered that was properly ID's was at 11in in under damp conditions in humus soil and that was a wheatie which ringed in at 81-83 on the VDI. I do a lot of traveling throughout the states as well as other countries and am thankful someone else is sharing his/her findings so we can all know what to expect in any given region/geographical location. I say it's great that we all can agree to disagree without being chastised for it. This is what makes some forums great and others useless. I personally would like to see as many discussion on the T2 going on at one time than a single issue. Call it beating it to death or bringing it to resolution, I appreciate it all. Even if there are some heated debates regarding it's capabilities from any users perspective or even a potential user the end result is we all need to put into perspective and realize that someone may be gaining or benefitting form the debate. I've always looked at debates like I do watching television, if I don't like what I'm watching technology invented this great thing called a remote which allows me to change the channel to something more to my liking. Why shouldn;t the same rationale apply here? If someone doesn't like a particualr discussion just click on another of more interest.

Keep up the discussions.

I am waiting for one right now. Nowadays I usually keep only a few detectors and they stick around now for awhile. I cycled through em all and now I know atleast which ones don't fit my style.

...but I could be wrong. What did I misinterpret?

Bill says, "In my ground, I have not a problem with quarters at 12

I am still sitting on the fence and possibly will get one in the next week or 2 to try when the weather get a little better, but it would be nice to play with it indoors for a while first is why I would like one before spring.

Rick

In the relic mode it only gave a iron reading when over a object not just the ground.I though you could only use prospecting to get a ground reading.I thought the iron reading was to tell you if the object was deep if it might be a coin or not .I will have to check on that.

That function on the MXT is a ground phase reading, not a reading like the Fe3-O4 scale on the T-2. The T-2 reads both the ground phase, and the ferrous content at the same time, giving two separate readings on the screen. The Fe3-O4 on the T-2 reads continuously on the screen as your hunting. With the MXT, a ground phase reading of #80 is assuming that it

Your correct. It gives a probable reading in percentages of the possibility of the target being iron. That

I was actually infereing to the complaining about it's bottlecap issue......however I was not referring to the on going attempts to find a way to ID them. Any discussions that help to find a way to better use a detector is great.....I was realy thinking about the rhetoric of..it sucks.. no it doesn't...and so on.

May be a couple of weeks, but have one coming so I can see for myself what this detector can do. Deciding factor being I had a Teknetics before and they were ahead of their times, but know it is not being built by the same people, but being Dave Johnson is involved and with his track record of other good detector the T-2 has to be good, RIGHT!! I sure hope so.

Rick