Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Carbon Fiber Sharts

I have noted that there are lots of offerings for carbon fiber shafts in the market place. I am curious as to what makes them a sought after add-on, especially at the price point they command. Anybody want to take a few minutes to educate me on why I might want a CF shaft to replace the factory issued?

Thanks
Kerry

Weight is the main reason. IF you water hunt most find they don’t blister inside like aluminum does....which means they don’t lock up after constant use in the salt water. The locks are another reason....most after markets are better.

I beach hunt so sand was the main reason in the twist locks so I purchased my own carbon shaft and made my own
Came out perfect! Look in modified forum here below for pics
Mark

I have kind of wondered this myself, why the need for aftermarket rods? I could see in the case of say a Minelab Sovereign where the rod was a complete ergonomic fiasco, but I've been able to swing my Equinox all day long without issue, even with the 15" coil on.

That said, I don't water hunt, so if there's an advantage to salt water hunting these aftermarket rods provide, then it makes sense. For relic hunting, if anything, I'd love to have a telescoping rod so I could collapse my Equinox into a backpack easier to get to some of the remote sites.

HH,
Cal

mntnflyr4fun said:
I have noted that there are lots of offerings for carbon fiber shafts in the market place. I am curious as to what makes them a sought after add-on, especially at the price point they command. Anybody want to take a few minutes to educate me on why I might want a CF shaft to replace the factory issued?

Thanks
Kerry

The stock shaft is really junk compared to carbon fiber.

Dave

Phillip_in_NM --

I sure will; sending PM momentarily.

If anyone else would like any information, please let me know. I have some thoughts about carbon-fiber shafts that may be helpful for some.

You might also see this post...

https://www.findmall.com/read.php?107,2470996

Thanks!

Steve

I personally like the 2 piece shaft. It feels stiff and more solid and has "fine" adjustment capability as mine comes with an alternative cam lock system. My Equinox shipped with one of the "wobbly shafts" which I hated.

Minelab was great about replacement, but the stock shaft will still be my "backup" because the two piece is so much nicer. Seriously, once you get the replacement and assemble everything and swing it a few times you instantly recognize the difference.

CS

coin-star --

I couldn't agree more. The Minelab shaft is "ok," and it's good (in my opinion) to use as A.) a backup shaft, and B.) a travel shaft -- as it breaks down smaller (as a three-piece) than a two-piece carbon-fiber shaft will, of course.

However, my main reason for designing an Equinox two-piece carbon-fiber shaft was exactly what you said...it's a much stiffer, more solid, more stable shaft -- so NO WOBBLE. AND -- as you said -- eliminating the button holes in favor of a "proper" cam lock (a strong clamping-type cam lock, more akin to the CTX 3030 cam lock, in my case) means "fine" adjustment of the lower rod length is possible. To me, that "universal" adjustment length capability is a great benefit, as opposed to being limited to the fixed adjustment lengths on the stock shaft, as forced by the button hole locations.

Some don't see the need to spring for a replacement carbon-fiber shaft, and I get that; it's a non-trivial amount of money to invest into the machine. BUT -- the machine is SUCH a great performer, that it almost DESERVES a higher-end shaft. To me, adding a high-quality carbon-fiber shaft changes the Equinox from a "great machine with a sub-par shaft" to simply "a great machine."

Steve

I got one of Steve's carbon fiber shafts not because of weight- the minelab shaft had developed the wobble. In fact, my Equinox is heavier now after adding the counterweight option. Really never noticed just how nose heavy the Equinox is until comparing the new shaft with and without the counterweight. Overall heavier but very well balanced with rigidity and cam locks that work extremely well. A thought on the holes in the upper shaft for the lock pin of the lower shaft- I opted to have them drilled. But if I want infinite adjustment of the length, I can just rotate the lower rod 180 degrees and lock the shaft wherever I choose.

Thanks Steve for making an outstanding product! Now if the ground would just thaw out.....

Indiana Mark said:
I got one of Steve's carbon fiber shafts not because of weight- the minelab shaft had developed the wobble. In fact, my Equinox is heavier now after adding the counterweight option. Really never noticed just how nose heavy the Equinox is until comparing the new shaft with and without the counterweight. Overall heavier but very well balanced with rigidity and cam locks that work extremely well. A thought on the holes in the upper shaft for the lock pin of the lower shaft- I opted to have them drilled. But if I want infinite adjustment of the length, I can just rotate the lower rod 180 degrees and lock the shaft wherever I choose.

Thanks Steve for making an outstanding product! Now if the ground would just thaw out.....

THANKS, Mark, for the very kind words!

And your "turn the lower rod 180 degrees" idea, if using a shaft WITH button holes, is truly genius! So simple, and yet so effective! My thought in the past for a shaft with button holes, was to just remove the spring button from the lower rod, and put it aside -- to then re-install later, if you wished to utilize the button holes. Your idea however is MUCH simpler, and more practical! Turn the lower rod 180 degrees, and the button can't engage in button holes, and thus you have the "universal adjustment" capability for your lower rod (exactly like having a shaft WITHOUT button holes). Then, if for whatever reason you WANT to utilize the button holes, just turn the lower rod 180 degrees, again -- and PRESTO -- you can then engage the button in the holes.

GENIUS!

Steve