Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Cartier Bracelet Fake or Real

I dont trust acid tests. So i go to a local jewelry store where they now know me and ask them to test items that i have a question about.

I dont trust acid tests. So i go to a local jewelry store where they now know me and ask them to test items that i have a question about.
The jeweler is a good idea, I have never used the acid test, I just ordered one to try on this bracelet. I only do beach hunting and when I find jewelry, I can usually tell by the look and weight, but then I verify by a hallmark or stamp, but this bracelet looks good, the hallmarks and stamp looks good, the weight feels a little lite so I'm not sure. In addition, this Cartier bracelet is a favorite knock off.

The jeweler is a good idea, I have never used the acid test, I just ordered one to try on this bracelet. I only do beach hunting and when I find jewelry, I can usually tell by the look and weight, but then I verify by a hallmark or stamp, but this bracelet looks good, the hallmarks and stamp looks good, the weight feels a little lite so I'm not sure. In addition, this Cartier bracelet is a favorite knock off.
Couple of articles say jewelers aren't verifying authenticity, but I'd have a jeweler check it and see if you get a wink. If they won't say it is authentic or not, maybe they will say if they can verify it is gold or not. As for knowing gold versus not gold, over the years I've had a couple of rolled or filled gold pieces fool me; they look right and test good then I'll take a jewelers file to them and take a little notch off an edge and then they are no longer what they seemed.

A few years back detecting at the beach a huge thunderstorm was heading my way. So i was swinging the coil as i walked heading for my vehicle. The occasional target would show up and i would check on that storm. I hi a target and heard a clunk in the scoop when i shook the sand out. Pulled a yellow ring with clear shiny stones. Old eyes and sand kept me from seeing a hallmark.
Got home and there was no hallmark. Stones tested as diamonds with my cheap tester.

Next morning i was at the jewelry store. When i walked in i was asked what did you find now. I showed her the ring and she took her expensive diamond tester and declared that all stones were diamonds.

I asked if its real what it is the ring made of? She said its 14k gold. I asked how do you know. She said i can visually tell that it is. I asked her if she would humor an old man and test it. She used their electronic tester and it tested as gold.

The diamonds were old mine cut.

The acid test works fine you just make sure you scrape enough off a edge so if it's heavy plated gold you will know.
Mark

Thats's a real bummer and many of us know your pain. My most recent letdown was a (beautiful) and hefty neck chain marked 14k Italy. Looked pretty good, but tested bad and my jeweler friend verified it was. Hope the fellow that lost it didn't pay gold price for it.

buckeeeee, better luck next time. HH Jim tn

A few years back detecting at the beach a huge thunderstorm was heading my way. So i was swinging the coil as i walked heading for my vehicle. The occasional target would show up and i would check on that storm. I hi a target and heard a clunk in the scoop when i shook the sand out. Pulled a yellow ring with clear shiny stones. Old eyes and sand kept me from seeing a hallmark.
Got home and there was no hallmark. Stones tested as diamonds with my cheap tester.

Next morning i was at the jewelry store. When i walked in i was asked what did you find now. I showed her the ring and she took her expensive diamond tester and declared that all stones were diamonds.

I asked if its real what it is the ring made of? She said its 14k gold. I asked how do you know. She said i can visually tell that it is. I asked her if she would humor an old man and test it. She used their electronic tester and it tested as gold.

The diamonds were old mine

What you going to leave us hanging? What was it worth?