Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Casablanca Ring 1943 Intrigue

osgood

found this Casablanca Ring in a park, 6 inches a way got a 43 mercury dime. The meaning of the ring is tossed about on the internet, Can anyone help me? I saw one similar on line which they claimed was considered a type of trench art, that is made by guys in the trenches during WWII, and to commemorate a famous meeting of world leaders in Casablanca in 1943 on strategies to tighten the noose, or "close the ring" if you will on the enemy , and hasten the end to the conflict. I dont see reference anywhere to a ring being made for the movie of that name. The auction price on the internet entry was for members only so dont know if it is valuable. It is heavy and not marked silver. I think it is too heavy to be aluminum. Could it be plated steel? Where there other type of metals used. Could it have been wrought from say silver eating utensils and hence silver marks obliterated? there are some distortions on the inside that might make me lean in this direction. I dont think it was tourist trade stuff, or could it be? Any input would be appreciated, thanks CO

The movie came out in 1942 so I dont know if that ring would go with the movie or not. I have no idea whats it's signifigence is but I like it, I like it a lot...d2

Just saw your post. Don't know anything about the ring, but I found an idenical one at a flea market in Virginia in the early '70s. Do you have an more info on it?

Might be able to answer my own question. Just found this info on eBay.

US troops landed in North Africa in November 1942 in Operation Torch, intended to clear the vaunted German Afrika Korps from the African desert. The Western Task Force, aimed at Casablanca, and commanded by General George Patton, consisted of the U.S. 2nd Armored Division and the U.S. 3rd and 9th Infantry Divisions

Thanks Sir Sedley, no doubt you saw the recent post in this forum, called Found Ring. Someone else found one also, will be sure they see your post. Thanks, CO

It might be made out of coin silver. My Dad, while in WWII, made a ring out of a silver quarter by pounding out the center with a hammer and chisel and working the metal. He said a lot of guys made them out of boredom.

My father was part of the invasion force that landed at Fedala, French Morocco. He was trained in the Army Air Force, but was assigned to a signal corps battalion for the invasion. In March of '43 he was reassigned back into the AAF with a fighter control squadron for the duration of the war. Some years before he died he gave me this ring. According to him, he made it out of a quarter by putting a hole in the center of the coin and sticking it on a pole, then pounding on it until it took the shape of a ring. He said alot of men made these just to pass the time. That is why the inside is rough but the outside has been polished down to a nice sheen. He later took it and had it engraved, but the guy engraved the wrong date into it- October instead of November. The original ring acutally is move silver colored than what appears in the photo. Sometimes I think I might take it to a jeweler and have it corrected, but a part of me doesn't want to disturb the original.
Also shown is a pic of a pin I have commemorating TORCH. I'm not sure how he came upon it.

Hello,
I just found today a 1943 Mercury Dime with this engraved on the backside. Does anybody know if this has to do with WWII and the Casablanca Convention too.

Thank you

Osgood
Wondering where you found the ring? About 5-6 years ago I lost my dad's Casablanca 1943 ring in NYC in the winter.
He was a Merchant Marine in WWII and bought the ring in Casablanca. Had huge sentimental value to me. Never occured to me until today to search google for it, or something like it.
First thing that came up was your picture of the ring. Are you looking to sell?

Osgood

Any chance you missed my first query? Would love to know about the ring, if you still have it...

gomesnyc@gmail.com

Rob