Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Challenge coin

mander154

Took the Xterra 705 to a local school yard yesterday... Found some quarters, the mouth piece from a trumpet and my first challenge coin!
It read like a $1 coin when I went over it, so I was a bit surprised to see something larger pop out of the ground.
You never know what you might find out there!

Thanks for looking!
Amanda

Neat Find. I have found three different Military Challenge coins. We did not have challenge coins during my 20 years USN. Congratulations.

First thought that popped into my head when I saw what it said was Jim Carey from dumb and dumber... " they will flock like the salmon of Capistrano. Haha good find! That is HUGE!

GeorgeinSC said:
Neat Find. I have found three different Military Challenge coins. We did not have challenge coins during my 20 years USN. Congratulations.

Don't want to tread on this thread but since you seem to have some experience with these challenge coins I need your opinion.
I found this thing a few years ago and I still have not found a spec of info about it and I would love to get an opinion.
It is huge, thick and heavy.
Big as a Morgan, over 32 grams.
Challenge coin or not?
If not, what the heck is it...just a souvenir?

Nice find

I looked it up and neither coin pictured looks like it would fit the description of a challenge coin.

A souvenir coin is probably more accurate for the one I found. I was calling it what my friends who were with me were calling it. Still learning.

HH,
Amanda

Yep Amanda, I agree. A gift shop souvenir. I love tokens and medallions like this. Some can be traced back and are quite old and, at least to me, fascinating. None of mine are valuable but so much fun to dig.

Cool beans! Love it!

Hello,
I live in San Juan Capistrano and have found several of these coins. I have traced it and found that they are tokens from the gift shop. I have seen them selling these tokens before but I think they stopped selling them.

rexy said:
I live in San Juan Capistrano and have found several of these coins.

Hi Rexy, thanks for chiming in! I'm in Central Virginia, so it was a bit suprising to find this one out here! I guess you never know where something might turn up.

Amanda

All the Military Challenge coins that I have seen were for a specific unit. As an example one of the coins I found was for the U S Air Force Academy. Not sure exactly what you have found but I do like it. With a Battle Ship on one side and the scene from New York at the end of WW-II of the Sailor kissing the nurse it is a Very Neat Find.