Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Changing the CTX Brake Pads

ironman200081

I have had my CTX since Memorial Day 2012, and the shaft cam locks ("brake pads") have finally worn themselves down that it is affecting my happiness while detecting. The lower rods barely hit the sidewall with the cam lock engaged, causing the coil to wobble and rotate as it pleases. This is due to over 10.5 years of heavy use and abuse, countless falls while holding my machine, and the occasional occurrence of using the CTX to flick away a snake, stray child, or other equally dangerous creature.

Thanks to the exorbitant cost and unavailability of Minelab replacement parts, getting a new cam lock was out of the question. I have used small squares of tape in the past as a band-aid solution, but those last one trip at most and I needed something more permanent. I decided to spray my lower rods with the coating-in-a-can stuff along the place where the cam would engage the shaft, and also spurt some goo onto the cam lock pads as well. This effectively replaced the "brake pads" and cured my wobbly lower rod problem. Now to see how much use and abuse this fix can withstand.
IMG_20221228_134229494.jpg

Dangerous creatures made me laugh. Dont ya hate when your digging a target and two small feet show up next to your plug??? More than once I’ve startled, luttle ones dont cast a long shadow……

I have had my CTX since Memorial Day 2012, and the shaft cam locks ("brake pads") have finally worn themselves down that it is affecting my happiness while detecting. The lower rods barely hit the sidewall with the cam lock engaged, causing the coil to wobble and rotate as it pleases. This is due to over 10.5 years of heavy use and abuse, countless falls while holding my machine, and the occasional occurrence of using the CTX to flick away a snake, stray child, or other equally dangerous creature.

Thanks to the exorbitant cost and unavailability of Minelab replacement parts, getting a new cam lock was out of the question. I have used small squares of tape in the past as a band-aid solution, but those last one trip at most and I needed something more permanent. I decided to spray my lower rods with the coating-in-a-can stuff along the place where the cam would engage the shaft, and also spurt some goo onto the cam lock pads as well. This effectively replaced the "brake pads" and cured my wobbly lower rod problem. Now to see how much use and abuse this fix can withstand. View attachment 34378

Dangerous creatures made me laugh. Dont ya hate when your digging a target and two small feet show up next to your plug??? More than once I’ve startled, luttle ones dont cast a long shadow……

Thanks to the exorbitant cost and unavailability of Minelab replacement parts, getting a new cam lock was out of the question. I have used small squares of tape in the past as a band-aid solution, but those last one trip at most and I needed something more permanent. I decided to spray my lower rods with the coating-in-a-can stuff along the place where the cam would engage the shaft, and also spurt some goo onto the cam lock pads as well. This effectively replaced the "brake pads" and cured my wobbly lower rod problem. Now to see how much use and abuse this fix can withstand. View attachment 34378
Well done with a solution to the problem.
I'm a big fan of self help solutions that, so long as they work and get the job done, then so be it.

Not sure if you done this in the past
i take out the cam lock pin( with a center punch)
cut two pieces of rubber the same size that’s on cam lock ( might need two glue pieces together) all depends on the thickness of rubber
crazy glue the rubber to cam lock pads