Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Changing Whites C-cell battery holder to AA cells

TH'er

Photos showing modification of my Whites Eagle Spectrum battery holder from C to AA cells are attached.

Photo-1: Machining out the top with a 3/16

Sweet mod. I have two new C holders like you have if you need any. Going to be on ebay soon. I'll bet if you call Whites an engineer can tell you the max voltage your machine can handle.

Most dry cells are rated at 1.5 volts each. The pac was designed for 4 "C" cells totalling approximately 6 volts. Rechargeable batteries usually rate at about 1.2 volts each. The rule of thumb when working with an electrical circuit is +/- 10% which would give you a maximum voltage allowance of 6.7 volts (which is what you have pictured). I'm not an expert but I hope this will help.

There has been more interest in this Mod., however the text has went missing and I am reposting.

Photos showing modification of my Whites Eagle Sprectrum battery holder from C to AA cells are above.

Photo-1: Machining out the top with a 3/16” end mill. Made the hole about 1/8” larger than the Mouser 6 cell holder (#12BH364-GR with wires) to be added. No need for high precision and I did not use an edge finder, only machining at the line. A Dremel type multi-tool might work just as well.

Photo-2: The rear contacts have been drilled out, retaining tabs cut off, and the back glued in with PVC cement. In retrospect, there could have been more rigidity in the previous machining process if this step had been done first.

Photo-3: Springs on the front have been snipped off and a spot of solder applied to each contact.

Photo-4: I thought the Mouser holder would set too far down into the existing holder so placed 3/8” plywood spacer strips between the reinforcing ribs of the Whites. There is an opportunity for further weigh reduction here by not using them, but one would have to dig the batteries out with their fingernails. Alternatively, using a lighter weight material like corrugated plastic is possible. Anyway, if only strips of the VHB (Very High Bond) tape are used, be sure that they are built up thicker than the reinforcing ribs for good adhesion to the Mouser part.

Photo-5: The wires were soldered on and new holder stuck to the VHB tape strips. This battery pack checks 6.7V with the dummy battery and 8.1V with all 6 cells. My detector seemed to work OK at 8.1V, but I don’t know what maximum input voltage it’s regulator circuit can handle. Maybe someone from Whites will advise on this subject.

Anyone done this with any charging usb pack?