Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Chapter 4 Crossing the Yukon Territory, "Wow Davey, this place sure is empty"

DC/Id

Our border crossing safely behind us, Vernon and I continued on into the remote Yukon Territory. We were getting a little low on fuel, but the map showed the town of Beaver Creek ahead about 40 miles away from the Troll booth we had just left. The dim glow of a few lights along the road ahead boosted our spirits. Beaver Creek had to be a better place than the border guard gulag we had escaped from. I soon saw a sign that read "Welcome to Beaver Creek Closed for the Winter."

The whole town was closed for the winter! Not one drop of fuel was available for the land train, and we were getting low. I looked at the map, and the next town on the road was the rather pleasant sounding Destruction Bay. A little fuel use calculation lead to the conclusion that we might almost make it there on fumes, if we were blessed. I wondered if that town might be closed as well. The thought of having a sleep-over on the road, out of fuel, in the Yukon was not a happy one. I wondered if they would find our frozen bodies in the spring along side of a dog sled team with the lead dog frozen to a tree. We were really, really in the boondocks.

I drove along trough the darkness, dodging moose, and wondering how to save fuel to make it to safety. I came over a little rise in the road and , thank you Lord, there was a fuel station that was not on our map. The Tulane Wilderness Village! A load of fuel, a cup of very bad coffee, and a souvenir t-shirt, and we were on our way again, We had enough fuel now to make it to Whitehorse. I hoped it would be light again by then. I had enough darkness for a while.

Whitehorse was a very welcome sight indeed! It was the biggest town I had seen since leaving Palmer Alaska. It even had a Cafe. I pulled in and parked. We had a real breakfast, the first food (Other than jerky and snack bars) in 18 hours. I was almost feeling human again after my 6th cup of black coffee. We then looked for a fuel station to buy some more litres of diesel with Canadian dollars. To this day I have no idea how much fuel cost up there.

While Vernon was filling up the tanks I went into the station to buy a map of the Yukon. I had a culture shock. I asked on of the three young Canadians at the counter what was the best way to get to Ft. Nelson B.C. I had not been to Canada before, but I was pretty sure the people up there didn't really talk like the MacKenzie Brothers in the Great White North kind of show but I was wrong.

They started arguing about the best way to head south. "Going south Eh? Oh, lots of snow down that way don't you know." His friend looked at him and said "Hey hoser, take off! That way is good way Eh." And so on and so on, They soon forgot about me entirely and just went on talking like a bad late night comedy skit. It was hilarious. I went out to get Vernon so he could hear the fun, but by the time we got back in the threesome were in a hockey fight, so we just left. I still laugh about those guys.

The road ahead looked a little better, just ice and the sun was up at last. We hoped to make it all the way to Ft. Nelson B.C. before stopping for a rest. If all went well that would be about 1800. We drove along enjoying the drive and kidding around. It looked like an easy trip.

[attachment 10302 yukonroad.jpg]

The road conditions got better the further south we went. This all began to change after we left Watson Lake. The map showed a high mountain pass ahead, and the sky darkened and snow began to fall as we started into the mountains.
[attachment 10303 Roadtoftnelson.jpg]

Ahead of us lay the some of the worst driving I had ever faced. Stay tuned for the white knuckled terror story. "The road to Ft. Nelson, Hey Vernon, try to land this thing rubber side down." HH DC

Your stories OK but Beaver Creek for one is just a couple of miles from the Border and the first RH you come to on the left is always open for food and fuel, as is the Hotel on the right, at Destruction Bay, which is just a couple of miles south of the Kluane Wilderness Lodge...I've made the trip a couple of times a year since 89 when we started traveling about 4 mo.s Feb to May around the lower 48, a Mipost Mag is good as it shows you all of the stops and what is open but I don't have one..It is a very nice trip, and better made in the dead of winter, when the traffic is lighter and the road is froze hard, keeping the flyrock to a minumum, sometimes it can get a little nasty with wind and snow but I remember Prudhoe Bay, the years I worked for a living there and how bad the ground storms get and you go to work no matter what... I spent the last few years I worked, before turning the keys over to someone else, keeping runways open and the long trails to Top Camp Radar Sites open, with a wide pad D-7 angle dozer with a 4" extension on the right side of the Blade to wing the snow off of the trail, as that was all the road was then, a trail, narrow in places and several hundred feet to the bottom, if you made a mistake, most of the time you could not see the edge in a ground storm but you could feel the soft snow giving under the track.....Must be why my hair is gray now and my butt cheek on that side is stronger then the other, couldn't be my age ;) HH...Geo

It was just over the border and we figured it would be a good place to stop. We sure didn't see anything open and there were closed for the season signs on the businesses. It was 3:00 am and dark as heck so we might have missed something, but it looked closed to us. I sure was glad to see that Kluane Village. It was at mile post 1118. I had never traveled that road before and was not sure what was next on our little trip. I have heard that winter is better up there because of the flying rocks. Destruction Bay had open places, but we were full and didn't need to stop. I would like to make that drive sometime when I could do it in the daylight and see the country. Most of our trip was in the dark through that part of Canada. I am sure we missed a lot of great sights. We were just blowing through and trying to get Vernon moved.
HH DC