Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

charger

antoninvs

Hi
I have a few weeks a new excaliberII ,is this the wrong charger for nimh accupack
(nicad charger)
thanksss
greetings
antonio from the Netherlands.

Hi anton mate if you are getting a new detector it should come with a charger , if not i would get a GOOD quality charger and not use the nicad one if possible.terryin oz:ausflag:

I asked Minelab the very same question when I had my scally11, they said that it was the correct charger for the nimh batts, and the only one supplied and showing on their computer.

Hi pasty man
I get Excalibur new from a minelab dealer in the Netherlands ,also the charger include
but y think it is okay for the nimh .
Thanksss for the help mate
greetings
Antonio

a good alternative to using any of the manufacturer supplied chargers . is to go out and buy a rc car battery charger . but not just any charger . you need one with adjustable output and amperage also one specifically engineered to work with nimh cells . now this may sound expensive . but it is quite cheap if you buy a used one from ebay or the like. a good pick would be a novak millennium pro not the millennium but the " millennium pro" . these came out about 5 or so years ago and used ones can be had for around 15 - 30 dollars .new they cost around 150 dollars. but as is the nature or rc car racing technology is always trumping last years models and newer better chargers are released on a regular basis . so the older ones just lay around and loose their value. even though they are eons ahead of any detector companies chargers . these type of peak chargers actually condition the cells and improve performance . you could expect to get a lot longer lifetime out of your packs . and you can just plug the charger into your cigarette lighter and in about an hour or less , depending on the charge amperage you set . your pack will be peak charged and ready to go. if you want to charge it inside your home just buy an inexpensive 12 volt dc power supply of 6-10 amps also available cheap on ebay 20- 50 dollars . or 60 - 100 new. novak also makes a compact power supply for their chargers . called n-power . and an even cheaper one called "black box" they can also be had cheaply on ebay. there are many other chargers that fit i this category such as ones from lrp , competition electronics etc , just make sure the charger has the capability to charge nimh and transmitter and rx packs , those are the smaller aa and sub aa cells. most any charger that charges nimh will also charge nicad simply by selecting the proper profile for the type of batteries you are going to charge . the best thing about these types of chargers are that they have a screen that tells you many important aspects of the battery such as the voltage when beginning charge and during and after. also you can finely tune the charger to your specific application. and it displays the actual milli-amp-hours that were stored in the battery during the charge . and it automatically detects when the battery can take no more charging. and prevents any possibility of overcharging . these chargers are all computer controlled and use cutting edge technology which far surpasses any chargers any detector company offers.
as for the pictured minelab charger i would have to say it is a copout from minelab . because even though it will charge a nimh pack it is not designed for nimh and as a result it will definitely shorten the life of the pack . especially in the overcharging department. as nimh cells have a lower cutoff voltage than nicad cells and nimh are way more sensitive to heat / overcharging . in the rc car racing circles if i were to charge one of my 130 dollar nimh packs with a nicad only charger i would be considered a fool . as it is unheard of and reckless and ill advised. so for minelab to claim it charges nimh tells me one of two things either minelab knows nothing about batteries ( unlikely ) or they have an extra 50,000 of these chargers to get rid of before they address the issue. and actualy release a revised nimh charger for the excal. but dont think i am bashing minelab as they are the best water detectors out there imho . and i have 2 excals.