Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

charging batteries for winter storage

Maddigger

I'm kinda new here so don't remember seeing anything on charging the Deus for or during winter.The manual says long term storage but if only for a couple months without use,do the batteries run down enough to need recharging?Do I leave the control on to get it down to 70% before putting away for the winter?What is best to do? Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Getting the batteries to around 3.8 volts per cell is the optimal way to store any LiPo. You can discharge them any way you see fit.

I just did mine later on today and did what i do with all my rechargeable batteries in my detectors. I full charge them and put them away, then in a couple of month I do this again and a couple month latter again and always have had good luck with them.
I been told over the years to never run them dead and leave them sit as they will leak or be unable to recharge them again, I know I seen this with some of the Nickle hydride AA batteries I had around.

Rick

Rick:

These are not NiMh or NiCad chemistry batteries. LiPo chemistry have to be treated much differently from older, outdated battery chemistry. You can do what you choose, but you should be aware of the facts.

http://www.maxamps.com/lipo-care.php

Rick(ND) said:
I just did mine later on today and did what i do with all my rechargeable batteries in my detectors. I full charge them and put them away, then in a couple of month I do this again and a couple month latter again and always have had good luck with them.
I been told over the years to never run them dead and leave them sit as they will leak or be unable to recharge them again, I know I seen this with some of the Nickle hydride AA batteries I had around.

Rick

biggziff said:
Getting the batteries to around 3.8 volts per cell is the optimal way to store any LiPo. You can discharge them any way you see fit.

Hey biggziff,

I'm not being a wiseguy, but can you share with a funny like me how one gets the batteries to around 3.8 volts per cell? Not obvious to me at all but interested in learning.

Thx,
Rich

I know they are different and I only use chargers designed for these batteries, Like I say I don't discharge these at all like some say they do, but on the Nickle Hydride's and Ni Cads I have a special charger too I use that will discharge and recharge to a safe level every once in a while.
The only thing I do different on my Li Po is fully charge them when in storage instead of storing at the 60-70 % charge and would never use any other charger other than what come with the Deus.

Thanks for the info and I like to go by experience like my Electronics instructor told me to do as so many books have misprints in them and you have to use common sense.
Like I say thanks for the info and will look into this more with the actual manufacture of these new batteries as we want to get the most from them for our use.
Just been looking at some new cordless tools and had good luck with my Lithium 12 volt tools, but I feel the batteries are getting weak and instead of new batteries getting new tools and see where the Ni Cad are coming back again as many of the Dewalts and other top of the line tools went to the Ni Cads (still can get the Lithium's too) as they say they work better and can be left on the charger after charged where many like to do where the Lithium's can not and if battery is left in the cold the Ni Cad still work while the Lithium's don't.
Rick

I have to look this up, but think this is about fully charged as each cell I thought was 3.8 volts to 4 volts, but not 100% sure on that as my 12 volts Li Po I trying on my Sovereign GT has 3 cells in it to get the 12 volts needed.
let see what biggziff has to say about it as I too am curious.

Rick

samandnoah said:
biggziff said:

Hey biggziff,

I'm not being a wiseguy, but can you share with a funny like me how one gets the batteries to around 3.8 volts per cell? Not obvious to me at all but interested in learning.

Thx,
Rich

Rich, I had hoped that I could meter from the contacts on the coil, but that doesn't work.

Since a fully charged LiPo will have a resting voltage of around 4.2 volts per cell and 3.8 is the recommended storage voltage (about 85% to 90% of full charge) you'll have to guess using the meters provided on the display. What I'd do is to charge the unit up fully and then let it run for 2-3 hours, shut it down and store it till you're going to use it again. It's going to be a best guess type of thing for these batteries.

As far as a charger is concerned, these units use a simple transformer with the brains (regulator, charging circuit) in the units themselves so as long as you provide around 5 volts (could be anywhere from 5-20 V, but I have no way to determine that) the coils, headphones and display will all self regulate the charging cycle. The "charger" is just a transformer...nothing more. I've charged mine via the USB port on my laptop, PC and in my car (car has a USB port) all work fine.

Thanks for the info biggziff. And yes, in my original post, please substitute the word "dummy" for the word "funny". Ironic, eh? Thank you autocorrect!
Rich

This is what Alain stated on the French forum:

"the ideal if you don't use it for several months is to discharge leaving the detector turned on then reload 3/4 about."

So discharge it completely then recharge to about 75% of capacity.

mrwilburino said:
This is what Alain stated on the French forum:

"the ideal if you don't use it for several months is to discharge leaving the detector turned on then reload 3/4 about."

So discharge it completely then recharge to about 75% of capacity.

Thanks. With a LiPo that's the same as charging it full and then discharge to whatever level you choose.

My replacement/new coils came with one segment of discharge on the battery readout. May be a rough estimate but without any other way to make a measurement, its a starting point.