Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Check out this dollar bill, what do you think?

hotrod53

This is kind of off subject for detecting, but I want your opinion or ideas.

I got this dollar bill for change last week, the back of the bill is perfect, the front has this weird blank spot. It doesn't appear to be torn, there doesn't appear to have had anything like an acid spilled on it, I can only conclude that it is a misprint?? Take a look and see what you think.

I'd take it somewhere and have it authenticated, as small bills are the most commonly counterfeit.

Probably came from the treasury that way. Possibly a small foldover error or the like.
I've run across a few counterfeit tens and fives while making deposits at the bank over the years.
Haven't seen any fake ones around.
My bank caught the fakes as they were rejected by the auto bill counter. Closer visual examination revealed the paper was off and just didn't feel right, and more obviously,the serial number was the same on the counterfeits.
If this should ever happen to you, remember the Secret Service must be notified and the fakes surrenderes
surrendered. My bank was required to submit a form stating my identity and the circumstances.
Since I was an account holder it was no big deal since the bank knows me. I had to explain how I got them (several customers paid cash that week so I had no idea) and I was out about 70 bucks.
It's about time I get one of those fake-detecting pens!
Let us know what you find out.
Cheers

Ya, that doesn't look right. There should be small red an blue fibers in the paper and you should be able to move a few of the red and blue fibers with toothpick or the like. If it is copied the fibers will not move as they are printed. The paper is a special blend on cloth and paper.

So, that gives me an idea thanks to bik-il, should I ask a cashier to swipe it with one of those pens to see if it's real? Will that pin mark eventually fade?

The bill shows no sign of ever being folded over on that corner. Do they print front and back at the same time or could it be folded when the front was printed and not when the back was done?

I would check it with a "funny money" pen, it it's real the ink will be a transparent brown and it will fade away and disappear with time. If it's fake it will look like you used a black marker on it.

It might be worth something as an oddity from the Treasury. You might want to take it to a coin shop to see.

Maybe the ink didn't get spread out to the corner of the bill???

I think you have a faked bill. How does it compare to another bill, the weight of the paper, does light go through it as well or better, the quality under a magnifier?

If real bills have other colored fibers why would this one not have fibers?

I recently saw a photo copy of some faked Canadian bills and they have that same corner wear which is not commonly seen in the real ones.

The good news, it is not a $100 USD.

HH

1859large... the picture doesn't show it well, but the paper does have different colored fibers in it. It feels funny on the blank spot, maybe just because of the lack of ink??

Doesn't seem likely that the corner would have been folded over when it was printed. US bills are printed in sheets of 32 and then cut to individual bills.

That would mean there are only four outside corners for every 32 bills and no bill would have 2 outside corners which could fold in in the printing plant.

That thought had occured to me earlier, bills are printed in big sheets and then cut.

Even though small demoninations get faked, it still cost to make the bills. And the lower the denomanation, the less the profit.

I think you got a rare "oops" that slipped through Quality Control.

If it were a $20, it could be a fake. At least its only a $1