Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

CHECK OUT THIS FANTASTIC DIGGING TOOL

C E Stricklin

I saw this in the Walmart Garden Shop and bought it about six weeks ago cost $6.97 plus tax. I wanted to try it out before I posted anything about it. I have really put it through some hard use in hard ground, roots, gravel driveways and it works great. I used a file to sharpen both sides straight blade and saw tooth to knife edge sharpness. It is a Fiskars 7079 Big Grip Garden Knife.

The blade is welded to the handle and it did appear to be a possible weak point. That is why I put it through some severe use to see if it would hold up before I posted anything about it. Guess I lucked out and got one with a strong weld.

Lesche knife=no problems! (IMO)-------but----whatever (digger) you like/use, enjoy yourself and COVER THOSE HOLES!!!!!!!

i have one of those too,it works in the soft soil ok, but in hard packed clay dry,its a pain to use..imo...
hh
john

Ive replaced it once.... handle first came apart but i glued it back... then like was mentioned the handled broke off. But you see i bought another for that price. I know .. i know why keep replacing equipment. I do the same thing with garden trowels.

Dew

One knife = $7. Five broken knives = $35 = one Lesche. Simple math, simple choice.:twodetecting:

Ive had one of these for over a year...great tool...just bought thier digging shovel as on Kellyco...great tools...dont ever see this breaking...could buy 3 and last a lifetime and still be $30 bucks ahead of buying a lesche...just my opinion.

I use a Predator 75C. Not cheap, but gets the job done and built to last. It even has a hollow handle for storage and a compass in the end cap. I wanted the metal end cap because after a lot of use my palm finally cut through the rubber handle bar grip of my last digging tool. This one has a padded handled but the cap is smooth metal.

http://www.predatortools.com/

Had one of those at the bginning of the thread. It bent over on me 3rd day out... Looking it's just inferior stel / gauge / construction. Would be fine for garden soil that's been tilled but it's not strong enough for compacted dirt around here. We have red shale soils that are very dense..:sadwalk:

Everything but the handle seems darn sturdy to me you do know you arent supposed to stand on them dont you Ed?

3 in 1 knife...original with wooden handle...a little shorter from sharpening these last 20 years..new remake of same with molded plastic handle is junk and they snap. Did cover handle with a soft grip for comfort..

Sear digger fairly inexpensive and lifetime warranty...after returning it for replacement 6 times they would not return my purchase price so I gave it to the little old lady that gardens in soft soil.

Moral of the story get a digger made for the hobby and Lesche is also an excellent choice.

Be aware some detector companies offer their own brand but again a throwaway as they break and are pure molded junk made overeseas..

Actually still think the original 3 in 1 knife is being manufactured but why fix what aint broke for an inch or so difference in length..

Don't you wish the original 3 in 1 company manufactured a car?

I guess you just need to evaluate your own digging conditions. It seems pretty shortsighted for anyone to bash what someone chooses to use to dig. If it works for them, why is it anyone else's business to run down their choice.

If you are going to do the majority of your digging in places with soft soil, why would you spend money unnecessarily. C'mon these things are 5 bucks at my local Menard's. I know that I can spend the $35 I saved by buying one of these over Lesche on taking my kids to a ball game, or buying my wife her favorite bottle of wine.

I guess just depends on what your priorities are. I think we need to get back to supporting the people on this site and patting them on the back for sharing their ideas instead of looking down our noses at others who do not spend $40 for a name brand digger.

I have two of these things. I think they are great for the local parks.

I guess one could use analogy that you wouldn't use a Pinto to tow a camper. You need to use the equipment for what it was intended. I don't think Fiskars would every claim their tool to be used for hard packed soil, and people shouldn't expect it to work for anything but soft to moderate digging.

--HH everyone--

Sorry.. Did not mean to offend anyone. I read these posts for the good and the bad. I've learned one thing in life and that is everyone's opinion counts, at least to them..

looks "busted!"....don't look so "fantastic!"
just sayin!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

As a "do it myselfer" the broken tool looks like a possible project.

Luckily I have access to a welder and some know-how-------------------

Of course if you had to pay a welder to make it as sturdy as a Lesche, why not just buy one first and never have such a problem?

CJ

PS I stopped by my local hardware store and asked if they had any brokem post-hole diggers and was given several for a project I was working on.

I can see a possible "shovel" for field use in each half of the digger.

TheOtherLeggoHead said:
OK, here is a thousand words for you....
Looks like the "fantastic digging tool" went "gunny bags"!-----Like somebody said, they're cheap---buy em by the dozen! :)