Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Checking out the Vaq

CO_T\Huntr

Got to borrow a Vaquero (from Reg) to check out and it had a 4" coil and the stock coil with it, I went to a well detected old park I have been frequenting to give it a workout... there is a grass area about 30x30 adjacent to the tennis courts that gets used for spectating the many, many matches held there and it's original to the 1906 development of the park itself, but it is uber trashy, I mean multiple hits with every swing of the coil, but I believed it could hold some old coins beneath all the trash and went over it slowly and carefully with my Silver uMax and the stock 8" coil got a few coins too but not much and nothing old... so to test the Vaq I went over it with the 4" coil and had it supertuned and Disc well up over tabs to the 3 o'clock position, I only got through about 30% of the area and dug up more coins than I had found in my previous detecting with my Silver.. I'm inclined to credit the coil more so than the Vaq as nothing was very deep with the Nickel at 5"+ being the deepest and why it even hit is beyond me as I had them Disc'd out, thought sure it would turn out silver but alas no, 1972 : (
But I will be buying a 4" for my Silver for sure! Still dug a few odd tabs and pulled the wire loop out of the same hole as a penny... (pic with gold toe ring is what I recovered from this area)

I'm guessing 80% of all the MDers who visit this park have checked out the area described above yet only a couple of the coins I recovered were "fresh" just too much trash to wade through I'm guessing.

Also found my largest pocket spill ever in another area of the park $1.61, made my day!

Now to find some Silver...

Trash to treasure ratio shown for several hunts too...

I have to agree with you on others just passing the trash by. There is a lot to be said about a detector with single tone and a great discrimination. Could you imagine running a multi-tone with a display through that trash. The tones would be all over the dispaly jumping non-stop. Not saying people don't do it, but for getting coins from a place like that, single tone and disc. work really well.

I did not know that they made a 4" coil for the Vaquero, I've been using the 4" coil for 15 years on my Bandido.

I'm super impressed with your trash pile. I see a gold ring in your future.:cheers:

tabman

I want that 1st 12" dug up and brought to my farm - hopefully a 16 yard load and i will pick thru it until no beeps resound

Yeah I would love to see in there at least a foot deep too, I did go in one day with my Silver with the intention of digging everything to see what
lies beneath the trash...... dug about 20-25 signals in about a 5' square...... gave up and walked away with a pocket full of tabs and a single zincoln
never went back till I had the 4" and Vaq.
But there was another area we tried that had more trash and I managed to pull a half dozen clad coins out of
I will be going back to that area with the 4" for a little more snooping one morning, never know!

Oh yeah I tend to dig a whole lotta trash not wanting to pass up the jewels... just need to swing the right spot one day, and bingo new machine!
I do have two men's gold bands under my belt, pretty much paid for my Silver.... waitin for the next BIG HIT

Your spot full of trash sounds like a place I hunt some times. Most people wont hunt it because of all the tabs. I havebeen hunting it for a few years now. It is pull tab city. Most of the time I use the compadre. It is that small coil that helps. I do have a few old coins. One small gold ring. A gold cross. Two silver wrist chains. A pick up truck of trash. It is one of them spots I hit early in the mornings before work... KEN. Ind

I had a Vaquero once and liked it. High gain uMax, with manual balance.
Good combination.

But itacked something - tone audio.

Tesoro really missd the boat on that one. Once Id used the Golden, no single tone Tesoro model was ever gonna cut it again.

But the V works good, and runs clean.

I'm just getting acquainted with a used Vaq I bought. One thing I noticed air testing in my yard was that there is a much more noticable increase in detecting depth (air) when turned well into the red versus other umax detectors I've used. Don't know if that's typical or just the nature of this particular machine, but it is a very noticable difference and a good increase over the #10 setting.
BB