Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Chinese Takeout:nono:

IBdiggin

No no ! not that kind of takeout!

So I'm back at the so called "hunted out" park from a few weeks ago, determined to add some big American silver to my coin poc. The rain last week was a big help and what better place to hunt other than a place with previous performance.

I did some grid work on the ball diamond with not mush success. Gotta be the cleanest field I've seen so far. The sun finally got me heading for the shady area of the park where an old narrow cement slab was located with a basket ball hoop at each end. I quickly skimmed one side of the slab a few weeks ago on my way back to the car and wanted to come back for a better look and take advantage of the shade. The hoops were old and without netting but I'm sure they have seen activity at one time. First I hit four clad quarters and the traditional dimes and pennies but surprisingly no stinkin zincolns. About 3/4 of the way around I get this big sweet giant high tone. So right away this game of guess what it is starts playing in my head and I'm thinking, wow, "too big for a quarter". Maybe 2 in the same hole, or could it be my first half? Maybe a Kennedy:shrug: It's only 2or 3" so it cant be too old. So I slide my blade in under the target from the side at about a 45 degree angle and ream a slot big enough to get under the target. I have a small ceramic scoop for tunneling as much dirt as I need out. I have not marred a coin since using this method of retrieval and leaves no trace of a dig other than moist dirt which is great in a park setting. Turns out these panda coins can be quite rare if they are the proper year and weight. From a short search I have learned this is one of the rarer ones.This is the size of a half dollar at 33mm. Any one have any info on this?-Enjoy and thanks for looking--HH----IB

Thanks DH.
When I'm in the clad zone I probe closer and reach in from underneath with my finger but those good numbers 86 to 95 really make me take my time.
I would surely hate to scratch my first SLQ or Walker:rage:---IB

1/2 oz is a honker! I have found 1 Panda coin, 1/10th oz of gold in a gold bezel, a few years ago. Nice find, for sure.:thumbup: HH jim tn

That's right Jim. It's actually a little bigger in diameter than a Kennedy half. They also have it in 1oz in that year but the 1/2oz is the rarer of the silvers. HH-----IB

Never seen anything like it, you might try to goggle it and see if you can get any information on it. Thanks for putting it on the forum, very interesting.

Very nice! Never seen one those before. Makes you wonder how something like that ends up so far from home! :blink:

Tell you what... I'd take that over a crusty zincoln any day!

diggindad

Oh Yea. A half oz of .999 silver any day over a stinkin zincoln. I gotta quit photographing under this light. It adds an amber tint to everything. Yes if some of our finds could talk we would be amazed at the story behind their arrival. I found a coin from Greece a while back in a woodchip tot lot in a town of 1200 people------------------HH-----------IB