Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Choices, choices......

JimGilmore

Ok, here I what I have and what I am thinking...
I have the outlaw and a cleansweep coil. I also have the 7 or 8" concentric donut.
I want either a deeper coil or a smaller coil and not sure which way I should go.
There are two areas I wish to cover and not sure which coil is a more useful bet at this time.
If I get the 4" coil I could get closer to the fences and walkways .Right now the machine give me a lot of falsing that I think is due to being close to the chain link fences. The 2 main parks I want to hunt are at least 40-60 years old or older. So there may be deeper targets that The clean sweep cannot see. I am wondering if I might be better off trying a larger wide scan coil.
But I reallt do not want the largest since I really do not wish to be digging 10 inch deep holes in the park.
Whaat are your thoughts.

Are wide scan coild able to get closer to fences and poles ????

JimGilmore said:
I have the outlaw and a cleansweep coil. I also have the 7 or 8" concentric donut.
I want either a deeper coil or a smaller coil and not sure which way I should go.
There are two areas I wish to cover and not sure which coil is a more useful bet at this time.
If I get the 4" coil I could get closer to the fences and walkways .Right now the machine give me a lot of falsing that I think is due to being close to the chain link fences. The 2 main parks I want to hunt are at least 40-60 years old or older. So there may be deeper targets that The clean sweep cannot see. I am wondering if I might be better off trying a larger wide scan coil.
But I reallt do not want the largest since I really do not wish to be digging 10 inch deep holes in the park.
Whaat are your thoughts.

Are wide scan coild able to get closer to fences and poles ????

Not that I'm anyone to give advice, but I like to clean off the top layer, and when all is relatively quiet, go deep.

JimGilmore said:
A hole in the center is the 8" Concentric coil. The 7" is a solid body design.

JimGilmore said:
With out reading further, my vote would be for a smaller-than-stock search coil. When I took on using a Tesoro as well as selling them back in mid-'83, I quickly swapped the 8½" Concentric off the Inca for the 7" coil off my Mayan and was very glad I did. I was used to using smaller-size search coils as that's what I did way back when I started detecting in the mid-'60s.

Today, getting ready to grab breakfast and then head out to a ghost town, I have only my Nokta FORS CoRe with a "standard" search coil which is a 7X11 DD. I'll only use that detector & coil in a more open area that has a sparse target count. All my other detectors are ready-to-go with a smaller-size coil. My Makro Racer has the 4.7X5.2 DD coil, and my Tesoro Silver Sabre µMAX and Bandido II µMAX will be using the 6" diameter Concentric coils [size=small](the one Tesoro calls 5.75 but I go by a physical measurement)[/size]. Today, I encourage the use of either the 6" Concentric or the 7" Concentric coil for best all-around performance from a Tesoro, especially in any dense metal target site or working close to fences, poles or equipment.

JimGilmore said:
A smaller-size coil. :thumbup:

JimGilmore said:
If I get the 4" coil I could get closer to the fences and walkways.
Long ago I found the dinky 4" to work, but to be too small to enjoy any overall performance benefit as it des lack depth, and it has a very small coverage and requires a very slow sweep and a whole bunch of overlapping.

JimGilmore said:
Right now the machine give me a lot of falsing that I think is due to being close to the chain link fences.
Two things to do to help cut don on that chatter is:

1.. Reduce the Sensitivity a little to better deal with it when hunting very close to the metal fence.

2.. Remember to always work with a fence or piper or other metal object. Do NOT sweep towards-and-away from the problem metal as that can cause a lot of falsing. Get the search oil as close as possible, then slowly work the coil along the fence line, keeping the coil a uniform distance from the fence [size=small](or metal structure, or pipe, etc.)[/size]. Once you move a little farther away, you can increase the Sensitivity as necessary.

JimGilmore said:
The 2 main parks I want to hunt are at least 40-60 years old or older. So there may be deeper targets that The clean sweep cannot see. I am wondering if I might be better off trying a larger wide scan coil.
I hunt some parks that date back to activity in the 1860-1880 era and, still, the majority of the older coins I find are in the upper 5" to 6" range. A few years ago I was popping clad dimes and Memorial and Wheatie pennies in the surface to 4" range when I nabbed another 2½"-3" dime. It was a beautiful 1884 Seated Liberty.

Yes, I occasionally find a deeper coin, but I've been at this for over 50 years now and the bulk are going to be surface to 5".

Why a larger Wide Scan [size=small](Double-D)[/size] coil? Why not a larger Concentric coil? Both van w0rk, you just need to match their actual in-the-field performance.

JimGilmore said:
Whaat are your thoughts.
My thoughts are get a smaller coil. Either a 6" or 7" Concentric, then be patient and work the coil efficiently.

JimGilmore said:
Are wide scan coild able to get closer to fences and poles ???
No, not necessarily, and they also do not tend to Discriminate iron trash quite as well as a Concentric coil, either.

Monte

I dont own a Outlaw so cannot cooment on what they are like with the coils that you mentioned and also your detecting location,but i do own the 7'' concentric coil,these are as rare as rocking horse manure but i bought a brand new one about 2 weeks back,This 7'' coil is a real joy to use and i dont plan on taking it of my UK version of the Bandido,its a great combination for trashy roman/saxon sites.

The 4'' coil i use just mainly for ford/shallow river detecting and also Thames foreshore,great for using on the really trashy sites that you would not normally be able to detector,not the deepest coil but the target seperation is what it excels at.

My vote would also go for the 7'' Concentric but getting harder to find these days,my 8'' polo coil is just gather dust in the garage these days.

Maybe I should take the solid white coil I have in storage which I think fits also. I am guessing its a 7" wide scan then ???
I know its not the 5 3/4 and I have NO larger coils than the donut that came with the outlaw...

my white donut is sitting on the lounge waiting for a turn, been using the Cibola and 5.75" mono (concentric) and form now on forwards I will call a mono as its a whole heap easier to write coil well 6" but maybe they are measuring the windings anyway , that's what I been using hunting coins with disc in trash and with iron disc looking for gold in areas I have cleaned out more.

Like the Cibola nice machine and so is the 6" mono.

sure which ever way you go it will be fun :bouncy:

AJ