Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Choosing the right coil.

fdl

Hi everyone.......a scenario. You have access to an old farmstead with a old house and outbuildings. The lawn is mowed so detecting is a easy sweep, but you have alot of trash around the buildings. As you move further away from the buildings the trash almost becomes nonexistent. The soil ground balances in the mid 40's which is moderate so you can use ether your concentric or DD coils. What I would do is to start out using my Coiltek "Digger" in the trashy areas around the buildings but when I move outward & get less targets per sweep then I would change to my 9" 3kHz concentric. I also have the standard 7.5kHz concentric & the 10.5" DD MF to choose from but not in this situation. If you guys (and gals) where in this situation is this how you would attack it? I think I'm right....or am I?
P.S. it's raining out again so I have nothing better to do then ask questions.....HAHAHA.

It's really a matter of preference, but I think you're pretty close to what I would do for the most part.
Try NOT to lock yourself into any one line of thought, and keep in mind that the 7.5kHz coils will deliver the most accurate TIDs. Be FLEXIBLE! Take all of your coils with you, because there's nothing worse than arriving somewhere and discovering on site that the coil(s) you have aren't the one(s) that you wish you did.

Had that situation this morning when I *wished* I'd packed the minelab 6" HF coil... was in a park that was littered with trash. Had the 10x5DD, changed to the 9"CC as it was raining... very hard with the chitter chatter...
but did managed to pull a halfpenny(pre-decimal roo coin) out at 4" that was on its side, amongst shredded can and iron.

I always start big and then go small. Using the 10.5" coil will give me an idea of trash and ground mineralization and also allow me to cover more area as long as I find that it's not too trashy. Then I'd move in with the digger coil. The digger coil will allow you to get in between junk and targets that were parallel signals with the 10.5" coil.

If I have a site that I can go back to many times I usually use one of the 10.5" coils and then switch to the othe 10.5" coil. Then I'll use the digger coil. If it's a smaller site then I'll use the digger right out if the gate being that I'm mainly a coin shooter.