Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Choosing The Right Frequency For The Right Targets

John-Edmonton

Staff member

Using multi-frequency mode, as on average, it does extremely well. For high conductors such as silver and copper coins, lower frequency is usually better, and that is validated with the silver dime in the histogram up above. It air tested at a greatest distance with 5 kHz. That tiny gold flake faired the best with 20kHz, including multi - frequency.

Now, these are air tests, and can account for a certain margin of error, but they are based on the maximum potential with the detector. Even out in the field, one can't simply call a certain coin at a constant fixed value (depth) with a particular metal detector frequency. Mineralization, humidity in the soil, target orientation to the coil, oxidation formed on the coin and size of coin will all change the depth results.

As a general rule, a lower frequency on the APEX 5kHz, would give you a sensitivity and depth advantage with copper and silver coins. Lower conductors should fair better with a higher frequency. However, keep in mind, that most gold rings are not 100% gold. They are mixed with non-ferrous elements such as silver and copper. You will get your highest gold% in natural gold found in rivers, streams, and rock. So, gold rings should fair well in multi frequency. Our common aluminum pull tabs are most sensitive to higher frequencies, as they are often in the gold range.

So, if you can define what you are searching for.....ie gold rings, gold nuggets, silver, copper coins, you can get an advantage choosing a particular frequency on the Garrett Apex.

Stay Safe!

mask small one.jpg

I've been a multi-freq'r for close to 30 years now between my first CZ-6 when they came out in the early 90's, to other CZ-s and Explorer's, Etrac's, Sovereigns, Equinox's and now the APEX -

I like that the APEX is flexible and can move from SMF to 5 - 10 - 15 -20khz if needed or in certain situations, wanted. However, I do like having the detector evaluating target response across the frequency board. After all, I don't know what's been lost in a given search area. (y)

Big disclaimer here, I've a lot to learn about the way Garrett does SMF vs the other manufacturers, which is one of the reasons i acquired the APEX. I don't expect my APEX to be like Fisher, Minelab or White's, it is Garrett's creation and I'm going to go out and learn its' characteristics. And hopefully, add some pleasant memories of finds, friends and exploring the world around me.

I wish the rest of you on this same journey much luck.

Rich -

I'm kind of like Rich (Utah) in that I have used multi-frequency detectors starting back in '96 with a Fisher CZ 6, and through the years to the present I have owned several Minelab Soverigns, 8 of or more of the FBS units, White's DFX and Spectra series , briefly an Equinox 800, and I had two of the Vanquish 540 Pro Pack units and have one I'm keeping in my outfit. The other one I wish I would have not traded to Joel . I also have two of the Garrett Apex units.

So I have had, and still have, some SMF detectors in my outfit, however I would not classify myself as being a huge fan of the multi frequency machines. I like some for what they can do in certain applications, but I am a fan and loyal user of good single frequency detectors.

In the end, it really doesn't matter if someone is using a single frequency or a simultaneous multi frequency detector as long as they have a good efficient search coil mounted, use settings that are functional, learn the device well and put in the time to enjoy it and get the most out of it. I guess it does add to the fun that I have some of both types and get to pick and choose as I desire.

As for the Garrett Multi-Flex approach with the Apex, I like how it works in the MF selection most of the time. There are occasions when I do opt for a single frequency, and right from working with my first Apex I found that my favorite single frequency is 15 kHz. That's their default frequency when you turn a new one on right out of the box, and 15 kHz had been a very popular frequency for me to use since the latter '70s right up to the present.

For what the Apex is and brings to the market, I think Garrett made a wise decision in keeping it really simple, but at the same time very functional. In the future they can build on the Apex series of MF design and add a few more adjustments to make people happy. But so far, dollar-for- dollar invested, I am really enjoying what the Apex provides in the way of comfort, simplicity, and decent in the field performance. Now I just have to get one or both of their new coils and keep pestering them for a good smaller size coil for very dense trash in confined spaces

Monte