Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Church Yard Find 1916D Merc

mj-air23

First off, let me start by saying I am posting this find for a friend. We both were hunting this church yard, but it seems my coil just missed passing over this find and his didn't. I had just found a Barber dime and was telling my hunting partner about it. He was telling me he hadn't found much besides some junk metal, so we put our headsets back on and he walked around me from where I had just came from and he dug up this nice find. He said "I found a 1916 Merc dime and it looks like its got a D". I didn't want to believe it at first because when you find a 1916 Merc you always want to see that "D" mintmark, and when I looked at it this one, my jaw nearly dropped to the ground. It was indeed a 1916D Merc and it was in very nice shape. It has to grade fine or extra fine. He is planning on sending it in. Anyway, it is a great find and he was excited as anybody metal detectorist would be. Just thought I would share the picture with you. Hopefully, mine is still out there waiting for me somewhere. HH!

Excellent find and that is one of my dream finds. For anybody buying one be very careful, 286,000 minted and over 500,000 accounted for. I would only purchase one that is slabbed and never from ebay. Check out ebay and you will see many 1916-D dimes in AG condition, do you think there is a reason for that.

Anyway - very nice find, I have found 2 "S" 16 dimes and my heart stopped both times. I hope your friends heart started beating again.

And I rick'ed it. But given the site I'm sure it is the real deal. Probably should send it in to get slabbed, but then I would have another empty space in my folder.

It's not everyday that you see something like that found. That Dime was in nice shape and I too hope that one day I will find one of these Treasure's for myself. Looks like Jason is 1 up on me for finds! Congratulations on that once in a lifetime find and thanks Mike for posting this Fantastic Coin. Jason should be very proud about this one! Hope you guys have more luck and until the next meeting, Good Luck and HH to both of you.:yo:

I love coins and have collected them for 45 years. I attached the information, I believe the info and am a little depressed that people actually do this. In Utah there was a very talented counterfeiter of old Mormon documents named Mark Hoffman - I went to High School with that dude, he dupped many a professional. He started by faking a 1914-D penny. He is in prison now and did not make it to our high school reunions. Anyway - the top line of this article states that 500,000 are known.

[attachment 71437 1916d1.jpg]
[attachment 71438 1916d2.jpg]