Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Cibola Fine Tuning

DiggerDug

I have had my Cibola for quite a while and have read many threads on modding and general tips for it's use. I have used it at the beach, tot lots, relic hunting, and coin shooting. I have countless hours using it. I am not an authority on it but feel quite confident on how to use it's capability to the fullest without adding or taking away from it's basic design. My unit is not covered by a warranty so I do any internal adjustments at my own risk. I think most of you have seen my vids on the Cibola "Super Tuning" and "Cibola Air Test". Those were done before I figured out how to ground balance the Cibola without adding a pot or toggle switch to it. I adjusted the inside GB trimmer while holding the PP button down and pumping the coil. I went for a neutral setting instead of pos or neg like some suggest. My soil here is red clay so it will change some from location to location. I did some air testing inside after adjusting the GB and I was impressed. The signals had to be repeatable and something most would dig. No headphones just speaker.

Disc. Iron Thresh. 1 o'clock Sens. 10 /Sens. 3 o'clock /Sens. maxed

25c 7" /8" /12"

10c 6" /7" /10"

5c 8" /9" /13"

1c 7" /8" /11"

Disc. Iron Thresh. 3 o'clock Sens10 /Sens. 3 o'clock /Sens. (TY) in Sensitivity

25c 8" /9" /13"

10c 7" /8" /11"

5c 9" /10" /14"

1c 8" /9" /12"

Sens. (TY) /Thresh. 3 o'clock /Disc. First line after Tab /Disc. Maxed

25c 11" /10"

10c 10" /8"

5c - -

1c 9" -

One last note, the higher into or above the red zone in Sens. you go the more sensitive the Cibola becomes to iron objects. Especially if they are large or heavily encrusted. That is why some people say the can't Discriminate iron out. They may be running the detector too hot.

DiggerDug said:
One last note, the higher into or above the red zone in Sens. you go the more sensitive the Cibola becomes to iron objects. Especially if they are large or heavily encrusted. That is why some people say the can't Discriminate iron out. They may be running the detector too hot.

I've observed that backing off the threshold from very super tuned to mildly super tuned or running with a usable all metal threshold gave reasonable discrimination even with sensitivity maxed. It was when I cranked up the threshold that I dug big deep iron that was not discriminated out and was not giving an edge to the beep (over super tuned). If you want to dig it all, and deep, then have at it with maximum super tuning. I found the overall quality of my recoveries greatly increased, with less effort expended, when I backed off the threshold to usable for pinpointing and sizing targets (although I have not dug any cannon balls either).

Note DiggerDug's nickle vs quarter measurements, unless the nickles are discriminated out. Tejon is similar. I think that greater sensitivity to low-range conductors is part of what makes the entire H.O.T series very good at turning up gold jewelry, as long as you don't discriminate it out.
Cheers,
tvr