Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Cibola gb trim pot?

:Left4Dead

If I were to carefully pop cover off and adjust trim pot, and take a photo of where it's set now( factory) so it could be returned to facotry,would I void my warranty ? I just want to make sure it's as good as it can be for my area, in general. This is not something I would do every hunt just once. I live in Mn. I would guess the soil would be quite different from where the factory is located.

Ps. I do know electronics very well, I repaired pinball machines in the 90's, and love to solder. I really just want make it the best it can be. I would love to do the gb mod but I really don't want to ruin warranty. And yes I know buy a vaquero , I would love to but it's not really just 100.00 more, because even if I sold my cibola ,looks new, it would still be quite a bit less than retail and would want to buy the v retail for the warranty.

Or am I dumb?lol

Mike.

This warranty excludes batteries, damage caused by leaky batteries, cable breakage due to flexing on body mount units, and wear of the searchcoil housing. Also excluded are instruments which have been abused, altered, or repaired by an unauthorized party. The only authorized party is at 715 white spar road, Prescott, AZ 86303.

I have to adjust my ground balance all the time.

What you do have to do, and this is the reason for Robert's "official" post, is be careful that you do not stick your screwdriver where it doesn't belong and short something out, or over turn the pot and break it. I would recommend you go shopping and buy a nice plastic electricians screwdriver just for this activity so you don't have to worry about shorting something out. The hard part is standing out in the cold wind taking the thing apart, balancing it and putting it back together while you hands freeze, cause you can't do it with gloves on.:stars:

HH
Mike

Like Robert said, you are taking a risk of voiding your warranty if you screw up.
Like I've said before about my modded C, it was worthless in my ground the way it was set. I never had a warranty so I freely modded mine in my own way.
If you don't use a plastic driver, you can more easily damage the pot, which will be obvious, and will surely void it.
If you can open it up without leaving a trace, no one will know since there are no security seals.
I would just check it in all metal and see if the tone is steady while pumping before thinking about popping the cover.

The only reason I did it was because I had my Silver umax for almost 10 years and the Compadre was so unbelievably low-price for what you get that I was willing to use it as an excuse to get another Tesoro!:rofl: I can tell you this: There wasn't that much difference in the factory preset and the final adjustment. So it IS a good idea to mark it as they know what they're doing. In fact, I think I may be on the original setting.

Thanks for all the input. I would be awesome to just piggy back onto the trim pot and make an external adj for GB that would not harm the Cibola in any way?

When I pump mine in the ground around here she goes quiet. So I know its not really balance for my soil or ground.

Mike

Its too cold here for me now to do any testing.

allcav said:
This warranty excludes batteries, damage caused by leaky batteries, cable breakage due to flexing on body mount units, and wear of the searchcoil housing. Also excluded are instruments which have been abused, altered, or repaired by an unauthorized party. The only authorized party is at 715 white spar road, Prescott, AZ 86303.
So, since many readers of these forums, as I have noted, have asked who you are and where you are and such .... are you stating non behalf of Tesoro that an end user can NOT adjust the GB trimmer? Is a Tesoro Dealer also an "unauthorized party"? I know many dealers don;t have a clue about what they are selling in the first place. no, not all, but way too many.

I do recall seeing information, directly from Tesoro, back when Jack was running the show, that let people know about the use of the GB trimmers and even how to adjust the notch width on the Pantera and Golden Sabre series.

I can see letting people know not to abuse their detectors, or not to modify them, or make undue internal repairs, but I can't see any harm in adjusting the GB trimmer on your detector, if you know it isn't working properly and needs a little tweaking.

Did I miss something in your statement or is adjusting a trimmer supposed to void a warranty? The Bandido and Bandido II had a knob sticking out the back to set the Threshold, and that was simply adjusting a trimmer.

I'm curious? How long have you been working for Tesoro? Where did you come from? How much experience do you have in the metal detecting hobby or industry? Matter of fact, with some recent changes there and in dealership changes, too, who IS running the show at Tesoro? James is gone. Unfortunately Jack retired and parted with the company to his sons. Hhe deserved the retirement and I hope he's doing well, but things have sort of gone downhill since then. The 'old' Tesoro just ain't what it used to be.

Most Tesoro followers through the years knew//know the names of folks they deal with, like Jack Gifford, James Gifford, Vince Gifford, and there's Rusty Henry, and we miss Heidi, but all we see for 'allcav' is the name is hidden. Other manufacturers speak out about who they are, like Dave Johnson, Carl Moreland, Steve Howard and others. Personally, when someone attains a position where they work for and represent a company, one that is supposed to be (and once was) a major detector manufacturer, it would be interesting and comforting to know who they heack is providing answers and helps.

Just my biased opinions, but then I am me and I HAVE been involved in the industry a long time.

Monte

The instructions even explain how the users might need to make some internal trimmer adjustments. Certainly they wouldn't explain that in a manual or paperwork, if it meant it would void the warranty. Again, I don't know who you are but it's obvious your above post was errant to suggest that adjusting a trimmer would void a warranty.

Monte

Monte said:
I'm curious? How long have you been working for Tesoro? Where did you come from? How much experience do you have in the metal detecting hobby or industry? Matter of fact, with some recent changes there and in dealership changes, too, who IS running the show at Tesoro? James is gone. Unfortunately Jack retired and parted with the company to his sons. Hhe deserved the retirement and I hope he's doing well, but things have sort of gone downhill since then. The 'old' Tesoro just ain't what it used to be.

Most Tesoro followers through the years knew//know the names of folks they deal with, like Jack Gifford, James Gifford, Vince Gifford, and there's Rusty Henry, and we miss Heidi, but all we see for 'allcav' is the name is hidden. Other manufacturers speak out about who they are, like Dave Johnson, Carl Moreland, Steve Howard and others. Personally, when someone attains a position where they work for and represent a company, one that is supposed to be (and once was) a major detector manufacturer, it would be interesting and comforting to know who they heack is providing answers and helps.

Just my biased opinions, but then I am me and I HAVE been involved in the industry a long time.

Monte

Thanks Monte, I asked some similar questions when Allcav appeared on the forum and my post was quickly deleted.

Should Tesoro or any other detector company warrant damage caused by an unauthorized and unskilled person poking around in a box full of electronics?

tabman

Monte said:
allcav said:
So, since many readers of these forums, as I have noted, have asked who you are and where you are and such .... are you stating non behalf of Tesoro that an end user can NOT adjust the GB trimmer? Is a Tesoro Dealer also an "unauthorized party"? I know many dealers don;t have a clue about what they are selling in the first place. no, not all, but way too many.

I do recall seeing information, directly from Tesoro, back when Jack was running the show, that let people know about the use of the GB trimmers and even how to adjust the notch width on the Pantera and Golden Sabre series.

I can see letting people know not to abuse their detectors, or not to modify them, or make undue internal repairs, but I can't see any harm in adjusting the GB trimmer on your detector, if you know it isn't working properly and needs a little tweaking.

Did I miss something in your statement or is adjusting a trimmer supposed to void a warranty? The Bandido and Bandido II had a knob sticking out the back to set the Threshold, and that was simply adjusting a trimmer.

Monte
Good post Monte, spill the beans allcav.

I'll say this, the service at Tesoro is top notch and Robert has done right by me. Tesoro has the best warranty in the business. Period

Tesoro detectors are very well made and work extremely well.

I'm getting the impression that someone is in the tank with Teknetics.:)

tabman

The Tiger Shark manual that is currently available on-line on the Tesoro web page explains the adjusting of the internal pots for volume, sensitivity and threshold. The implication would be that adjusting is not altering; but it would be nice to see clarification from Robert related to what he posted above in this thread.
Cheers,
tvr

P.S. tabman, if you had been on this forum or reading it for a couple of years or more, rather than a few months, you would know your comment about "in the tank" is not true and you would not have made it.

tvr said:
The Tiger Shark manual that is currently available on-line on the Tesoro web page explains the adjusting of the internal pots for volume, sensitivity and threshold. The implication would be that adjusting is not altering; but it would be nice to see clarification from Robert related to what he posted above in this thread.
Cheers,
tvr

P.S. tabman, if you had been on this forum or reading it for a couple of years or more, rather than a few months, you would know your comment about "in the tank" is not true and you would not have made it.

I have searched and read most of Monte's posts, because I find them very informative and interesting to read. That still doesn't change what I think.:)

tabman

Ok first of all, my name is Robert Martensen. That information is free to you and if you call here for tech support, you will get me. I wear many hats here at Tesoro. I am the Marketing Director, customer liaison, Dealer rep and tech support.
If you open your unit up 1 time and make adjustments to better fit your ground, chances are it will not void the warranty. However continuously opening up the unit to make adjustments can cause wires to brake.
I am first and foremost here to help out the Tesoro users to the best of my ability, and it isn't my attention to upset anybody.
So if you have any more questions, call, email or even PM.
I didn't know that quoting the warranty would upset anybody and hope that I clearified a little bit up. The subject of the warranty is a gray area when it comes to tinkering around on the inside of the units.

allcav said:
Ok first of all, my name is Robert Martensen. That information is free to you and if you call here for tech support, you will get me. I wear many hats here at Tesoro. I am the Marketing Director, customer liaison, Dealer rep and tech support.
If you open your unit up 1 time and make adjustments to better fit your ground, chances are it will not void the warranty. However continuously opening up the unit to make adjustments can cause wires to brake.
I am first and foremost here to help out the Tesoro users to the best of my ability, and it isn't my attention to upset anybody.
So if you have any more questions, call, email or even PM.
I didn't know that quoting the warranty would upset anybody and hope that I clearified a little bit up. The subject of the warranty is a gray area when it comes to tinkering around on the inside of the units.

Thanks Robert. The information given is what I was looking for. I really do think it's great that you are on the forums and respond to questions. .

Mike

Yes, thank you Robert. As you can tell by the posts here, some of us are diehard Tesoro users and your customer service, as well as quality product, has everything to do with it.

Thanks. I think that many of the responses were so brief and to the point without a lot of info-much of the mannerisms of a tech-that many wanted a little more clarificatrion.

I can only limit my answers to our company policies. I wish I could tell you more but I can not.