Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Cibola Mod Options

GA1dad

So I've hunted with my new ( to me ) Cibola enough to decide I'll keep it for a while. As such, the ground balance mod will surely be done. I've read Keith Southerns instructions, but wanted to know what other options I may have.

Are there any feasible options besides removing the pinpoint button? Can the 3 - 3/4 turn pot be installed in an alternate location and keep the PP button where it is? Are there any real problems with using the 3 -3/4 turn instead of the 10 turn? Other than less fine tuning ability?

Are there any other mods I should possibly consider?

3-3/4 turn is OK, 10 turn is better working difficult ground.

With the small housing there is not much room to put things. Replacing the pinpoint button with the pot works very well. Adding a toggle switch coming out of the detector rod on the bottom side of the box puts the toggle right at your finger. Use a three position toggle with center as the discriminate mode, pull to pin point and push into a locked position to hunt all metal. If set up like that, I don't think you will miss the pinpoint switch.

Trouble is finding a 3 3/4 turn 50K pot. They are smaller in size than the 10 turn but, have to be custom ordered in batches of 2500. That's why they are so hard to find anywhere in stock. Then cost about $35 each.

I got lucky a number of years ago finding a bunch 100K 3 3/4 turn pots which work for some Tesoro models.
What I will do is solder a 100K resistor to the outside legs of the pot, which reduces it to 50K. The control adjustment is not 100% linear but, works just fine.
Now I also use this devalued pot in some Tesoros that call for a 100K GB trimpot. Since fixed GB trimpot value from the factory is set from 24-28K depending upon detector. Really you only need adjustment to 50K or 10K to be effective in most GB conditions.

Note you may find some pots listed on the web that look like the 3 3/4 turn pots. Just make sure you pay attention to what it is listed as-- 3/4 turn. They are not 3 3/4 turn. Easy to misread what you may order in error.

I went for a closer look and see what you mean,,, they are easy to misread,,, that does narrow it right down I suppose. Thanks for taking the time!

The 10 turn Bourne pot I used the base of the pot was too big to fit anywhere else but the bottom pinpoint button spot. No biggie, I use a switch in place of the button so now I have a sort of quick return all metal mode now if I flick the switch and leave it instead of having to hold the button.
To clarify, I installed the switch in the same spot where the tejon's disc change switch is. So with my forefinger when I need pinpoint or want to use it as an all metal mode I just flip the switch. Then just flick again when I want to go back into disc mode.

Edit: I used Sven's PDF as guideline for the mod

Thanks Sven for the write-up!!! Was nerve racking as my first one but all turned out well!!!