Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Cibola question

froggy38383

I recently purchased a Cibola but cannot use it right now because of snow and cold. What kind of life can I expect from the battery?

The Tesoro comparison chart lists the battery life at 10 - 20 hours.Is this accurate?

I will be using headphones with this unit.

It all comes down to the batteries that you buy to put in it Froggy if you buy the cheap ones then you might detect for half a day or get a full days detecting out of them a good battery will last two good trips out in the field. You can get a bit more time in the field with the more expensive ones but if you buy a pack of 3 in the mid price bracket you can always keep one in a plastic bag in your pocket and change it out in the field if one goes flat. I was getting 1+1/2 days out of the mid priced ones and as soon as the detector started to crackle i changed the battery over

PS do not put the 9 volt batt in your pocket with anything metal like change or your car keys or it will short out and get real hot and burn your leg.

I've been getting 1-2 days hunting out of a NiMH rechargeable battery. Tesoro doesn't recommend using the rechargeables but I don't have any problem with it. I will say, though, whatever type battery you use, carry a spare. A couple of times the Cibola just quit on me, all of a sudden like. Needed a new battery. So carry one with you. And as recommended, be sure the spare won't short out in your pocket. I had heard that but not heeded the warning and got a pretty hot pocket one night in the middle of supper. A coin had shorted the terminals.

Have fun.
Eddie

I was certainly planning on carrying extra batteries, I have purchased a six pack of good ones. Thanks for the advice on not carrying them open in a pocket with coins.

when i first read this it came to mind you may store the batteries in the detector but we all know better, i get about a good 20 hours out of mine but the battery check is a big plus PS don't let the snow slow you down when the wife is shopping try the snow plow piles never know what a careless shopper dropped HH

Unfortunately where I am it is much too cold to go out right now. Tempereatures are at about 5 degrees fahenheit for a high, way below the 30f minimum range which tesoro lists in the specs. I would be afraid of the cold causing the plastic components, especially the coil, to get brittle and crack. As well, after the last snow we had, it thawed, and then froze again, resulting in icy, hard, snow, which is very hard to dig.

If it happens to warm up between now and March, which might not happen, I will give it a try.

Thanks, Henri