Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Circuit board cleaner

straker

What's good for cleaning metal detector circuit boards? I tried using denatured alcohol and that won't cut it. My board is dusty and a little dirty. Any help would be appreciated.

a clear water. its can add very small soap value. just microdose. fastly wash off and dry two day.
use a brush.

straker said:
What's good for cleaning metal detector circuit boards? I tried using denatured alcohol and that won't cut it. My board is dusty and a little dirty. Any help would be appreciated.

Hello straker.
Please do not use water on the dirt and dust. This can cause some terrible issues.
if you will hit the link a few sprays will show up and I'd use one of them. Think you'll get one
of those at your hardware store, too.
Hope this helps.

LINK

Could CRC 2-26 multi purpose precision lubricant also be safely used to clean boards and free sticky potentiometers? I have a can of this but wasn't sure if it was the right stuff for the job so I haven't used it yet.

Please do not use water on the dirt and dust. This can cause some terrible issues.
---
what liquid is using in manufacturing of the pcb for the clearing from chimical? do not know yup?
so you wrote nonsence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-AIlg4ZMdY&list=PLi9qZjzlFV9kOLmLIQxHryMeHn_LIDd9Y

Thanks for the tips,guys!
I chose not to use any cleaner with water in it as I first tried 50% isopropyl alcohol and some of the solder points oxidized.
I then used 91% isopropyl alcholol and it didn't remove the dust/dirt film either.
Vitos advice is sound and I might try his suggestion.
Here is one example.

LOL I understood every word "NOT" hahahahhahaha:)

http://www.circuitnet.com/experts/70402.html

In summary, the key is to use the cleaning properties of water to remove the residues, but dry the newly cleaned products as quickly and gently (thermally) as possible.

And some detectors manufacturers in the past coated the circuit board with a waxy type material. To be moisture from destroying the circuit board and parts. Could be a sticky mess if using any solvent as a cleaner.

Ohhhh maan, are those guys even serious?! I mean, using water to clean the circuit board? Do they even understand does the circuit board do? I mean, it connects electronic components, how can you clean it with water?! In case you want to break it, and as a result to break your detectors, and after that just throw them away, then yes, use water guys! Even the best specilists in circuit card assembly would not be able to help you. Use the sprays guys, don't go full retard, never go full retard. Sorry for being a bit too harsh on you.

Last edited:
Back in the day when I was photo etching boards at home, carbon tetrachloride was the preferred solvent.

[U]Hariver,[/U] did you see REAL MANUFACTURE of pcbs' to tell there is not water? constantly i take trash boards from street and wash its just by water. nothing here
special. you i see are very capitalistic there to clear boards by 'holy wiskey solvent made in USA'. i am living in REAL world and certainly water is conductor.
if you wash working board you must to give to dry 2-3 days. i did never say you to connect up board to supply right after washing -!!!

Reactions: tvr
Ohhhh maan, are those guys even serious?! I mean, using water to clean the circuit board? Do they even understand does the circuit board do? I mean, it connects electronic components, how can you clean it with water?! In case you want to break it, and as a result to break your detectors, and after that just throw them away, then yes, use water guys! Even the best specilists in circuit card assembly would not be able to help you. Use the sprays guys, don't go full retard, never go full retard. Sorry for being a bit too harsh on you.
I actually laughed a bit while reading your comment :DD

[U]Hariver,[/U] did you see REAL MANUFACTURE of pcbs' to tell there is not water? constantly i take trash boards from street and wash its just by water. nothing here
special. you i see are very capitalistic there to clear boards by 'holy wiskey solvent made in USA'. i am living in REAL world and certainly water is conductor.
if you wash working board you must to give to dry 2-3 days. i did never say you to connect up board to supply right after washing -!!!
Agree! Water is a very mild solvent. If you care about minerals or acidity or salt in the water, use distilled water. Pure distilled water is very nearly non-conductive.

CRC puts out an electronic Cleaner. Works and dries quickly

I worked at a place that used Cascade and water. It was sprayed while going through a conveyor belt. The water used was well water. At the end of the cycle, the boards were 'dried' with compressed air.
After the compressed air, at our individual stations, we used a natural hair brush and brushed off any water marks.

These were built boards. I am sure that the boards that had any small or sealed pots, were not put through the wash. Another variable was the type of flux used. If it was water based, it's going through the wash. If it was No Clean flux, we had to clean that off with alcohol.

We did have contracts with the U.S. gubment. That's saying a lot.

Distilled water is not conductive. But distilled water that is contaminated with 'dust bunnies', may be conductive.