Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

CIVIL WAR BUCKLE

John Boy

I had this posted on another site,maybe yaw can help me.I dug this up a few days ago in north Georgia. The tongue from a two piece buckle.Its got two holes in it where maybe an faceplate went or maybe something else.Know clue if its confederate or federal.Maybe with alot of luck i can find the rest of it.Any ideals will be aprichiated. Thanks

Never seen that buckle before John Boy :confused: I assume the two pin holes held an insignia, but what insignia is the question?? My money would be on something locally made for private purchase, either pre-CW militia or CS... or possibly something like a fireman's buckle holding a number.

umrgolf said:
Never seen that buckle before John Boy :confused: I assume the two pin holes held an insignia, but what insignia is the question?? My money would be on something locally made for private purchase, either pre-CW militia or CS.
Thanks good to know,I've also found an federal general service button and some spent Spencer shell,harmonica reed and other stuff in the same site.

John Boy said:
umrgolf said:
Never seen that buckle before John Boy :confused: I assume the two pin holes held an insignia, but what insignia is the question?? My money would be on something locally made for private purchase, either pre-CW militia or CS.
Thanks good to know,I've also found an federal general service button and some spent Spencer shell,harmonica reed and other stuff in the same site.

like I said just guesses but somebody might be able to provide a match.. its an interesting buckle for sure

Most civil war tongues were solid cast / mold . Never seen one like it . ???? Could be a repro but it definitely looks to be from the period. Will do some checking. cch

Cajuncoinhunter said:
Most civil war tongues were solid cast / mold . Never seen one like it . ???? Could be a repro but it definitely looks to be from the period. Will do some checking. cch
yeah I know this one has got me puzzled to.Thanks for checking buddy.

Mike O'Donnell from American digger magazine e-mailed and this is what he said about it.

It is from the Civil War period. Possibly dates as far back as 1850. Most likely a letter or number was applied to the center for a militia company. Also possible, but less likely, it had a unit emblem or even a state seal applied to the center. The overall design seems to be patterned after the U.S. Army

John Boy said:
Mike O'Donnell from American digger magazine e-mailed and this is what he said about it.

It is from the Civil War period. Possibly dates as far back as 1850. Most likely a letter or number was applied to the center for a militia company. Also possible, but less likely, it had a unit emblem or even a state seal applied to the center. The overall design seems to be patterned after the U.S. Army

umrgolf said:
John Boy said:

John Boy said:
umrgolf said:
John Boy said:

umrgolf said:
John Boy said:
umrgolf said:
John Boy said:

Congratulations JB. That's a nice find!!!

That's a great find,....buckles have eluded me so far but who knows what's in the next hole,....thxs for sharing!....gl/hh.