Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Civil War Bugle Mouthpiece :cam:

Cajuncoinhunter

Dug this bugle mouthpiece over the spring in a 1863 Union Camp. It was under some bushes about 5" down. Just got around to cleaning it up a bit. After some research, i was able to compare it to others very similar to this one. It was 3" long. Thanks. CCH

Talking about tooting your own horn.......:bouncy:

Thats a nice find. Congratulations

Thanks. Coming from you, I will take that as a real compliment. :thumbup: cch

More info regarding this find from another relic hunter :

From your photo of the mouthpiece on the yardstick. Your mouthpiece is from an "Eb Alto Horn" or a "Tenor Horn". I would say and Alto Horn. Your's is definitely from the Civil War by the thickness of the stem. Alto Horns are only used now in British Brass Bands, they have been replaced by the "French Horn" in the US and other countries. Alto Horns were used in every brass band during the Civil War playing the musical part between the Bb Cornet and the Bb Tenor Horn. It was Stephen Fosters favorite instrument and he wrote many great parts and solos for it. He called it a Peck Horn because of the emphasized off beat musical part that sounded like a Chicken Pecking. I'm not saying your mouthpiece wasn't used ina Bugle but the size would lower the pitch from the normal "C" or "Bb" to a lower pitch where it could not play in tune with other bugles. You've got a great piece but it must have been hit by a plow from the way the rim looks. It takes a lot of force to do that to a mouthpiece. Hope this helps!

In addition, a book i researched placed the 24th Iowa Regimental Musicians, XIII Army Corps, near the area where i dug this as they were in a funeral march for deceased 18 year old PVT Charlie Williams on Monday Nov 2nd, 1863.

HOLY COW!!!!!!! What a great find CCH. That's one heck of a sweet mouth piece. Oh, if it could talk......what stories it could tell. Thank you for sharing it with us. You are making history from recovering these precious pieces from the Civil War era. HH and stay cool, Nancy