Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Civil War bullets with rings

Chuckieo

I am pretty new here, and knid of new to Civil War artifacts. Can someone explain to me the significance of how many rings a bullet has? does it determine caliber, Rebel or Union? i wouldn't sell any bullet I would find, but does the number of rings determine the value? Thank-you for your help

I'm probably the last person that could give you any real info on this subject. I've been detecting for 10 years and have only just recently dug my first CW bullets. I'm not sure what the number of rings signify, if anything at all. They may just be specific to the inventor. I've read that they held grease to lubricate the barrels and assisted in keeping the barrels clean. Perhaps the grooves or rings also assisted in keeping the paper cartidges attached when warranted.

Doc

Huntcav65 has listed some pics from the "go to" book for CW projectiles / bullets. There were several thousand varieties of CW bullets used during the CW. Most 'serious' relic hunters have that copy shown above or the earlier version. If you could possibly check out a copy from the local library you'll see what we're all talking about. Its a must have if you're gonna start collecting mine balls aka 3 ringers. :look:

Good luck. cch

under the number of grooves select 2 and just take a look at all the different types. if you need more help let me know