Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Civil War camps and coins?

TNdigginsafari

I am just wondering how many times you guys have found any type of coins at Civil War sites that you hunt. I have several sites that I go to some being short stay camps and places they stayed for extended periods. I also have been hunting a couple of actual fort sites but have never found any coins of any sort. Is this unusual or did they just not carry coins much? I have very good luck finding all other kinds of relics at these spots.

Period coins are hard to come by, I have found a half dime, some CW tokens and a LC. I have done pretty well with later coins at the same camp sites for some reason.

There are spots out there that have the coins, its just a matter of being in the right location. It seems for every CW site that has a coin(s), there are 20 that don't. While stationed in VA, coins rarely turned up on CW sites, and when they did they were a stray Indian Head or Large Cent. There was very rarely ever a silver dug in the camps there. Since I've moved home to Missouri I've located 2 sites that give up coins out of 25-30 spots that I've hunted. In fact the site that gives up by far the most relics has yet to yield a coin.

umrgolf said:
There are spots out there that have the coins, its just a matter of being in the right location. It seems for every CW site that has a coin(s), there are 20 that don't. While stationed in VA, coins rarely turned up on CW sites, and when they did they were a stray Indian Head or Large Cent. There was very rarely ever a silver dug in the camps there. Since I've moved home to Missouri I've located 2 sites that give up coins out of 25-30 spots that I've hunted. In fact the site that gives up by far the most relics has yet to yield a coin.

you are correct- location, location, location

not every campsite, battleground, or fort is going to have a coin

I have found coins on relic sites to be few and infrequent, but when 1 does show up they are of a select variety. HH jim tn

.... But when you do find one, it sure is nice :-D I've been lucky at my sites over the last year or so. So has umrgolf as he found a 'pocket spill' at one of his sites if i recall correctly. :thumbup: Keep at it & Good luck. CCH

Hi I have dug lots of civil war coins in camps plus 4 gold dollars, the trick is you have to find early camps 1862 and before. After mid 62 they were using scrip money{ paper} and the silver and gold were not used. Only some held on to the coin money but mostly large cents, Indians and some small 3 cents pieces. So look for mid 62 and earlier camps to improve your coin count. I still hunt camps that have been pounded to death in the hay day of Relic hunting for the purpose to sell them. The old camps still have coins in them, but you must be using dd coils and a fast processing machine. Hunt in { 0 } discm and dig the iffy and Miltie tone signals, and you find many non ferrous targets co located with the ferrous that you would have never heard if using more discm. I have written on this before just look it up and yes I use a F 75, 4 tones, 0 discm as much sen that you can use and keep track of ground balance, yes it is mind crazy listening to it but it will pay off.

dirtdigger08 said:
Hi I have dug lots of civil war coins in camps plus 4 gold dollars, the trick is you have to find early camps 1862 and before. After mid 62 they were using scrip money{ paper} and the silver and gold were not used. Only some held on to the coin money but mostly large cents, Indians and some small 3 cents pieces. So look for mid 62 and earlier camps to improve your coin count. I still hunt camps that have been pounded to death in the hay day of Relic hunting for the purpose to sell them. The old camps still have coins in them, but you must be using dd coils and a fast processing machine. Hunt in { 0 } discm and dig the iffy and Miltie tone signals, and you find many non ferrous targets co located with the ferrous that you would have never heard if using more discm. I have written on this before just look it up and yes I use a F 75, 4 tones, 0 discm as much sen that you can use and keep track of ground balance, yes it is mind crazy listening to it but it will pay off.

Very good advice DD08. Good to see a post from you. CCH

dirtdigger, you are right on.. the fisher gold bug DP i use has same coil as F75 and almost every coin I've dug this year was a CRAP signal mixed in amongst a bed of square nails in hut or tent sites.. I would love to read your articles? or books?

dirtdigger08 said:

the early camps I have hunted I dug coins, I mainly hunt 1865 camps and you dig Indian Heads and a few 2 cent pieces but that is about it. I think dirtdigger is right on with them using scrip during most of the war in the east (Va.) that I hunt. it seems that out west had the gold though. that may be some later camps I don't know but it sure seems like a lot of gold coins dug in the western camps.

Thanks for advice Dirtdigger. I have a Minelab Safari with the pro coil and have been using with alot of the iron disc out. I have still been digging lots of rusted square nails tho even at this setting. I have found alot of relics at these sites. I will open up the machine a little and see what else it brings out

well I found a penny this weekend at an old Civil War fort site, the only thing is it's corroded so bad I cant make out anything at all on it. I gotta think it is an Indian head but I just cant make out any markings on it!

I've hunted several Winter camps here in Missouri and can say every one of them but one has given up at least one coin. Most multiple coins. Over the years I've dug 39 Civil War era coins from camps. 14 of them half dimes. Never dug a half dollar and only one quarter. The rest were mostly dimes, half dimes and three cent pieces. And one lonely dollar gold coin. I'm thinking out West silver ruled the day over script, but I could be wrong. It's always a blast digging civil war coins. I have one camp I've dug 15 coins out of.

Keep on diggin'

jimmyk in Missouri