Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Civil War Era Cabin Sight Produces Nice Finds

C&RHunter

I haven’t been detecting much for the last couple of years, due to home projects. Yesterday and today, I took my Equinox to an old cabin sight in my brother’s woods, that I had located using an 1877 Atlas. The sight has been over grown with so much brush and brambles that it was not really detectable in the past. We had a friend come and use a brush cutter to get rid of the small stuff, so now it’s open for detecting. Yesterday I found a 3 ring mini ball that has been hammered flat, along with pieces of cast iron pots, and other misc junk. There is a rocked spring a couple of hundred feet from the cabin sight. I found my items today about halfway from the spring up toward the cabin area. The iron stirrup was my first nice recovery of the day, then the lead bullet fragments and the flat button, and then the cartridge case. It’s a rim fire cartridge (.44 cal. possibly) that doesn’t appear to have been fired, but has been crushed. The last good item was the two cavity brass bullet mold, it registered 23. I was very pleased with the items from these two days. I still am hoping for a coin or two. During the Civil War, this area was the stomping grounds of Bloody Bill Anderson and his men, so who knows what may be found. (I can always hope) Typically my hunting is in farm fields where there used to be cabins or home sights. I found that detecting in the woods can be a challenge. Dealing with the massive of amounts of tree and brush roots is very different for me. My hat is off for the relic hunters that are accustomed to that type of detecting. Since it had been a while since I last used this machine, I am having to get reacquainted with the Equinox and the various settings.

Attachments

• Brass Bullet Mold.jpg
    Brass Bullet Mold.jpg
    831.4 KB · Views: 178
  • Iron Stirrup.jpg
    Iron Stirrup.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 194
  • Misc items.jpg
    Misc items.jpg
    336.1 KB · Views: 178
  • Misc Items2.jpg
    Misc Items2.jpg
    479.5 KB · Views: 192
That's the right stuff C&R, there should be a 2 piece button out there! I dug my first bullet mold last year.
HH Jeff

Great saves of some CW History. Very cool stirrup and bullet mold. Nice relics all round that would grace any relic hunters display. Keep at this site.

Now I'm wondering ...

We've seen 3-ringers with teeth marks on them. Maybe that was because there was nothing to give to a guy getting surgery in the field, on a wound or broken bone, without any anesthetic. While the doctor's cutting and sawing on you ... here ... bite the bullet. Bite down hard. We respect those men, North and South.

But why would a GI take a 3-ringer and pound it flat? What would he do with it?

Cheers,

Joe

Sometimes soldiers would pound lead bullets flat and use them for poker chips or other game pieces. As far as teeth imprints in lead bullets......maybe chewed by a soldier if found in a known hospital site, other than that a lot of these bullets could have been chewed on through the years by wild hogs as they seemed to like the soft lead.

I really like the stirrup. Cool group of finds. Congratulations.