Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Civil War era Eagle Buttons

shafer44

Well, one of my detecting buddies(Blind Squirrel) and I went to our civil war era hunting site about a week ago. This area that we hunt has been hunted for 25 years, so the pickings are pretty slim. Normally we find Minnie balls, shell casings and other artifacts, but this time we only found 1 45-70 rim fire shell casing and no round balls or minnies. There were 3 eagle buttons found by us though, I found 2. Even these two are a little different in design and probably a few years apart. According to Albert's book, which my hunting buddy has, the one with the dent in the front was made about 1849 and the other was between 1850-65. It is always fun and exciting to dig an eagle button. I have found only 3 civil war or Indian war era eagle buttons now. It is always great to find these rare buttons and especially nice to be able to read the backmarks to date them.

Good finds there shafer44! Maybe the next time we go out there you will dig your first pre-1900 coin? I know that I didn't get them all! Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Thanks Texjim and Blind Squirrel!! I was very happy to find them. Blind Squirrel has picked them over pretty good and fortunately, he left me a couple....but, he found another one too this trip.