Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Civil War Letter from Riverboat Captain

garyw

I know this is a little off track and I hope I am not breaking the rules but I thought since most folks here are retreiving civil war items more people would see this here. I found this letter in a box of family papers from the Long Beach Penninsula in Washington state. I found it at a garage sale in Albany Oregon. It is a letter from the ship captain of the Island Belle a steamer in the Potomic River in 1861 The Captain was Arnold Harris I researched it on the internet and found a picture of the ship and found out he did not go down with the ship he was captured. This was all done in pen and I copied it best I could word for word then sold the letter to a collector. I hope you enjoy it and do not find it offensive that I posted it here.

U.S.S. Island Belle Nov 3rd 1861
Off Matthias Point

Dear Brother
I have given up all hope of receiving a letter from You
but not withstanding. I will drop you a few lines to let you know I am still in the land of the living but stand a very excellent chance of not being so long. For these confounded rebels have got me completely hemmed in. That is as far as water is concerned. I can leave any time by leaving the steamer and taking the Maryland shore for it. But that I shall never do even if I have to make her my coffin before one of their batteries. I have got three months provisions for forty men and 700 rounds of ammunition for the large guns so I can stand a pretty good siege and by the time that is out there will be an opening some where for us to get out. I made a glorious drive last week on a party of Pickeli in Virginia they have been threatening me for some time by riding down to the beach in partys of 25 and 30 at a time and shaking their dish cloth of a flag at us and as soon as we made a move to train a gun for them away they would go across the country as fast as their horses could carry them so I got tired of such humbugging and went to work and found out where they quartered . Well I have got a large launch that pulls twenty oars with a rifle 12 pounder in her so I manned her with part white men and the rest negros and started for the Brink House of my friends the Pickeli as we neared them I gave them a salute from the bow chaser not forgetting to put a second shell in her. Rip she goes right bang through the house. Hello What is that three men running for the stable. Stand clear boys while I bring my rifle to bear on him, never mind it

WOW!! Very nice! WHAT A NICE PIECE OF HISTORY!!!! Thanks for sharing this Gary!!!!!