Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Civil War Projectile Brooke ? 6.5", 60lb. 12 1/2" tall.

skippers

Can anyone tell me the type of projectile this one is? I have been thinking it was a Read, but now believe it is a Confederate Brooke.
Any Idea of the value? It weighs 60 pounds, is 12 1/2" tall and about 6.5" inches in diameter.

Skippers, very nice artillery shell. From what I can tell from my reference book: Civl War Projectiles Ii Small Arms & Field Artillery by W. Reid McKee - M.E. Mason, Jr. your shell appears to be a Confetrit' CSA solid bolt -pointed nose READ pattern, short size. Page 117 second shell pictured in pages middle. Also diagram on page 141 top left corner of page. Did you find this?

Sorry Confedrit, it does look like the Read you pointed out but I'm thinking it is a variety of a Brooke 7" shell. Given the size and weight of skipper's shell, the way the copper sabot is attached and the fact that it accepts a fuse plug it could not be the Read solid bolt. Civil War Artillery expert Jack Melton Jr. lists several patterns of the Confederate Brooke shells on his website. A few are similar to skipper's.

- Gary