Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Civil War Site Question

Okierick

My first opportunity to hunt a Louisiana Civil War site this weekend. It's in a cut cornfield. My Deus equipment includes the remote, WS4, 11" coil, & 9" HF coil, plus the MI-6 pinpointer. I have virtually no relic experience. As I can cover a wide range of frequencies, between the 2 coils, would I be better off using a lower frequency, with the 11" coil, or to use the 9" HF coil at 14 kHz? The condition of the field may determine the size of the coil I can use. Are there any relic specific settings that I should pay special attention to? Thanks, Rick.

Good evening. One thing I can tell you from experience of working on a farm for many years in north louisiana. Corn field rows are usually are 30 inches apart so the 9" would probably be a good choice and will have chopped stalks everywhere. If the field has been disked should not be a problem.

9 inch coil in 14 kh keep it simple ,that will be a great general hunt freq.
SENS 90-93
kh 14
reactivity 2 silencer -1
full tones
iron audio o
disc -2.5 will let all iron be heard and where there is iron relics are present
ground balance to actual number
notch nothing.
audio respon 4
This might not be the end all program but its my relic program with the hf coil and its a great starting point. BTW I would use the 11 in open areas in 7 kh or 11 kh

Very similar to my HF program and it works very well. (with practice).

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the help. I'll let you know how I do, if we don't get rained out by the Gulf storm.

Louisiana Civil War finds. Thanks to Lane Prater for hosting us. Be sure to check out Dirt Fishing with Lane on YouTube for numerous gun s on these fields. I found a Sharps sight, 2 ringer Sharps, 3 ringer, round balls, a ring, and a worn CSA cuff button (with a very ornate back). I also found the tiny American bow tie pin, which is probably not from this period, and a War nickel. A buddy found a 1875s seated dime. I used my HF 9" coil between the corn rows and my 11" coil on the soybean field. Thanks for the advice.

My Civil War finds weren't really that deep, as the field is constantly plowed, and the soil was quite loose. I don't believe that anything was over 7". Those bullets rang out quite loudly, at that depth. The small bow tie was around 5".

My typical hunting is in old parks or around ball fields. In that environment, the maximum depth of most of small target finds has been 8 - 9". That isn't to say it wouldn't find a coin deeper, but they are rarely any deeper in the parks I hunt. At that depth, I'm digging based on sound, as the TDI is not displayed.